Quake III Arena

Increasing sensitivity doesn't help. It's not jumping around, and the res is set to 800x600 (and i've tried lower with the lowest quality settings) and it's still weird. The mouse isn't exactly jumpy or laggy. Kinda' hard to describe... it seems to have some sort of acceleration, but there is none set in q3, nor in osx. It's a USB Logitech "Wheel Mouse", which had a "made for Mac's" logo on it. And I'm not running anything in the background. I mean, come on -- I have 640MB RAM!

Anyways, this is getting really annoying. I played a game of InstaUnlagged on the pbook 5min ago, and it seems to have trouble aiming up/down. It's as if the Y axis has acceleration, but the X axis has lag. It's really strange. :confused: The mouse seems to have acceleration while viewing the desktop too! But there is no way in "System Preferences" to change any sort of acceleration.

If only I could get Q3 running, I'd be free from ever touching my WinXP machine! Waaaaa! :(

Well, did you try downloading Logitech drivers for mac? I have the Logitech MX500 and I am using Logitech drivers, eventhough macosx-drivers worked well too. Beside that, there are several options for moving the mouse. I think one option is mouse-smoothing (in Q3A). If that doesn't help, than try configuring your q3config file in your Library/Application Support/Quake3/baseq3
I am not sure, but I believe you have the possibility to adjust X and Y axis sensibility manually.

I highly doubt you don't have enough power in a new Powerbook to run an old game like Quake 3, especially if I can run it decently on an old G3/233 with a Rage Orion.

Do you have any other problems in other applications with the mouse? Are you using USB Overdrive? If you are, try creating a new set of conditions for Q3 and disable Overdrive in that set.

First off, I am using a Logitech "Wheel Mouse" and the CD-ROM drivers are for OS9 only.

Second, editting q3config won't do any good because it's re-generated on startup every time by the game. What's best to edit is /Applications/Quake3/baseq3/autoexec.cfg

And I'm gonna' try manual X/Y axis manipulation, although I feel that it's against PunkBuster regulation... :(

And I don't think the q3config is always regenerated. I setup my special screen-size in there and it is accepted. If it would be regenerated, it shouldn't accept such changes

I'm downloading the LCC right now. Oh, and what I meant by "re-generated" is that if you fsck around with your settings in the 'setup' menu of the game, it'll re-write the entire q3config (or at least portions of it). :p

Update: It fixed the lag! But now... I have no middle-click! I can't bind anything to MOUSE3 in Q3A because of that fscking mouse config thing. Apparently, my middle-button is nothing! It can perform all sorts of actions, ones that I don't care about. And it can't just simply be the middle-mouse-button!! This isn't very good, especially when I rely on my gauntlet being binded to MOUSE3 for a quick close-combat change. :(

Well, can you do without your middle mouse button for the time being? Maybe get into the habit of binding gauntlet to an easily accessible key?

I have the same problem! But hey, my middle button is so slippery, that I used to change weapons by this. So, I am not using it at all.
And keyboards are much better for such cases.

/me sighs.

That really isn't the point. I use the middle-button for tons of things in games, and no, I can't bind everything to the keyboard. In some games, my weapon-mode-switch is there. Or the scope. Or reload. While everything within reach of WASD is already binded to things I don't need immediately. Like Ghost Recon, for example. I have so many things binded around WASD that I really need the middle-button for mode-switch. Anyways, I don't really need it in Quake, although i'd be nice to actually have a middle-button. Too bad I can't just install the driver that makes it unlagged, instead of that useless "Logitech Control Center". :mad:

Thanks for your help though. :)

Y'know, the mouse on this computer (the G3) is an old optical 3-button Mouse Systems mouse that, due to stupid software, has all 3 buttons functioning as mouse click (click-lock for the middle button, which is still kind of useless). I have played many games on this computer, including Quake 3, and while it would be nice to have the mouse buttons functioning as different controls, I manage quite well with only a single mouse function. Yes, it would be nice, but you can get around it if I can, and remember, it's only a game.

Back