Qualification...

I'd like to see a qualification with iTunes for Windows:

Free version - Allows you to browse music store, buy tracks, and manage library. Doesn't allow for burning, and advanced features are disabled (soundcheck, ratings, ripping at quality better than 192kbps)...

Commercial Version (say, at $19.99) - Full feature set of Mac version, plus CD burning.

Of course, the Commercial version would be free if you bought an iPod....

I really don't think Apple will give away the entire feature set to Windows users for free. Remember, in the Windows world, Apple will have to provide compatability for a myriad of burners.....and to do that, they need to write drivers. Time === $Money, so, I hope they intend to charge PC users for this, instead of having Mac users subsidize the PC version.

The people who are opposed to iTunes on windows seem either young or short sighted to me.

This is Apple's chance to make a new market, and maybe control it. Think Apple is to online music as Microsoft is to OS's. And with that control comes great power. For instance.

Microsoft is working very hard to get the music to use its DRM. Where if you wanted to play a song on a computer it would be a Microsoft formated file. GREAT! Lucky us.

Apple is taking huge steps to not be pushed out of this market by Microsoft. Good for them. And good for us. I know I don't want the mac left behind.

Matthew

The only thing I regret about iTunes coming to Windows is that it is one less thing I'll be able to taunt my Windows using friends with. On the other hand it will be a great opportunity to say, "I told you so."

What it all comes down to--as has been stated by others here already--is that Apple is in business to make money. Ok, yeah, there are plenty of ppl over there in Cupertino who have other ideals and motives as well, but none of those would be possible without a lot of cash and investment. Getting those means, (a) selling as many products/services to as many ppl as possible for the greatest profit and (b) convincing investors to invest by convincing them that doing so will make them a lot of money. Not many of these people will care that Apple has idealism and a cult following except as how it pertains to them making bushels of money. Selling a great product to 100% of the market as opposed to 3% is a lot more likely to do this.

Originally posted by RPS
No, because I don't care how Apple's shares are doing, do you?:confused:

You know they'll have enough money to make new Macs whether they make the PC iTunes or not.

Well i do because it means even better Macs even better software everytime and its in part why you are here.

secondly - in all honestly i think its a bit of a teaser for windows users to switch over, after all if you saw only a small portion of somthing you were curious about and really liked it, wouldnt you want to know more?? SWITCH.......

iTunes for Windows will ABSOLUTELY be free. Mark my words, write it down somewhere, date it. FREE for Windows.

The money isn't in selling iTunes, it's selling music via iTunes.

If Apple has learned one thing in its majorly f-ed up history, it's that market share is more important than profit margin for the company as a whole. For high tier shareholders, short term profit margin is more important, but that's a whle different point...

Anyways, where was I, oh yeah, selling iTunes would be idiotic and completely unnecessary. If you put a price on iTunes, it may not get sold, which means no music gets sold. If you give it away, you've virtually guaranted that music gets sold.

Easy decision. Free.

Anyways, where was I, oh yeah, selling iTunes would be idiotic and completely unnecessary. If you put a price on iTunes, it may not get sold, which means no music gets sold. If you give it away, you've virtually guaranted that music gets sold.

Normally, I'd agree, but creating a Windows version of iTunes that is on par feature for feature with the Mac version, is going to be quite a challenge for Apple for one reason - the sheer number of possible burner options available to Windows users. Apple only has to support the drives it officially sold, although it goes the extra step of adding a few non Apple drives to the Mac iTunes.

This is going to take significant resources from Apple. I would not be surprised to see them make a basic player that allows you to manage your library, rip in several formats (but with a limitation on quality), search and buy music from the store, but not burn to CD - as a free download.

Then, they could offer the "pro" version (higher quality ripping formats, CD/DVD-R burning) either for $19.95, or free when you buy an iPod.

Remember, they have to weigh marketshare for the store sales vs. marketshare for their Mac sales. I'm sure they are well aware that making a completely free iTunes for Windows will remove a significant reason people spend the extra $$$ for a Mac.

lets not forget that by porting itunes, you now have an aac player for windows. i dont believe there currently is one.

anyway, for those of you that follow (and are sick of) the mp3 vs. ogg debate this would be a nice way for people to side with a music player they like and hence the format as well.

its my thought that my increasing peoples' exposure to apple product, they would then become more interested in apple and eventually see the real strengths behind the system.

itunes for pc is a good idea in more ways that this (many have already been said), but what it comes down to, is you dont really have a say. its going to happen.

be happy that your ignorant pc friend can finally enjoy a quality product.

Back