Quark 6.1 update

I am proud to say that I switched to InDesign the moment it was first available. I haven't launched Xpress in years now. I told my printers that if they didn't support InDesign, I wouldn't print with them. They all went and bought InDesign immediately. My life is so much easier thanks that decision.

I can understand a big printer's need to stick with Xpress, it's just too entrenched. But MANY smaller design firms like mine are going InDesign all the way. Stay tuned to this battle. I suspect InDesign will gradually take over in a few more years. Or at least be 50/50.

My favorite thing to read about Quark right now is the versiontracker.com reviews. They are so funny. I never knew I could hate Xpress in so many ways!

I have updated my Quark 6 and it's seems much faster, but in all honesty, I don't use it anymore. Like so many other designers, I have moved over to InDesign, which is a hell of alot better than Quark.

My printers have yet to more over to InDesign, which I can't understand why? They have just recently upgraded to Quark 6! The mind boggles?!?

Anyway, I only use Quark now to layout my EPS's that I create in InDesign for my printers, and that's all.

Frankly, I think that Quark is dying. Maybe, that same will happen to MS Windows?

I also prefer ID, though Quark still has a strong foothold in many publishing firms, though most are still on 9.2.2. In fact, my own copy of QE is 4.1 and I have to wonder if I'll ever switch to the OSX version.
Unless I get a job where that's the system used and I want compatability and the ability to work from home, probably not.
Quark was great in its day but that day has long gone past.

I was dealing with a rather half assed printer the other week who berated me for using InDesign which, acorrding to him was "about as far a way from print as you can get, if you'd used a standard program like Freehand or Photoshop..". Indeed. I didn't choose them of course but I think my client's starting to think they suck too which is good.

Anyway, I haven't used Quark 6 yet. The most recent I've used, like many of you, isf 4. I had to go back to it for a job last year and wasn't too impressed, although it was quite quick compared to ID2.

Quark is such a hard set standard... the transition is just hard for a lot of people. I use to hate using it, it's so damn primitive, maybe that changed, but like as others mentioned, i jumped to Indesign when it first dropped and never looked back. I equate Quark to... the first version of Photoshop, before the layers, about 2.0 ish. But i will say the things that can be done with an old version if Quark is impressive, no way in hell would i sit there trying to do what I can do with the 3 Piece team of ill, PS and InD.

mindbend said:
My favorite thing to read about Quark right now is the versiontracker.com reviews. They are so funny. I never knew I could hate Xpress in so many ways!
I think it's funny that the OS X version of the QX 6.1 update has like 300 comments while the Windows version has 2. :D

Back