Quark 7 upgrade

mspain77

Registered
I am currently running Quark 6.5, and the other designer in the dept. just got Quark 7 a few months back. She is on a MacPro Dual 2.66 Ghz dual-core Intel Xeon machine, and I'm still on the Dual 1 Ghz PowerPC G4 mirrored-door drive machine.
All the files she creates or even previous files she JUST opens in 7 are no longer accessible to me. When she tries to 'export' the file down to version 6, it crashes my app. EVERY TIME.
We are looking to upgrade me, but does anyone know of any incompatibility issues with the Intel and PowerPC that I might run into? I want to ensure that a quick upgrade to the app. is all we need, and that we can BOTH work on the same files with no issues.
Anuy thought would be great! Thanks again you guys!

From http://www.apple.com/universal/:
“Quark is the first company to offer its customers a Universal page-layout solution and this software demonstrates that we’re serious about delivering on our commitment to become a more open and customer focused company. With the release of QuarkXPress 7 as a Universal application — in addition to more than 160 new features — cutting edge creative teams are working faster and smarter on the latest Apple hardware.” - Jürgen Kurz, Senior Vice President of Desktop Products, Quark

I would imagine that since her docs are in Universal and Quark 7, your non-Universal Quark 6 app won't be able to open it. They will have slightly different file structures.

A thread on Quark's website for your very issue:
http://www.quark.com/service/forums/viewtopic.php?p=55294&sid=6a5edf30cac81be50453d854aab3dd57

sounds like a bug in the export system in quark 7. by the sounds of things, quark 7 is quite a drastic upgrade from 6, so these are the first bugs. i would bombard quark with calls to their helpdesk.

well guys, I spoke with a certified apple tech from CSU Fresno, and he said that Q7 file format is 100% interchangeable, regardless of hardware. There seems to be a bug in the exporting feature. He suggested that most companies will put more timae and effort into refining OTHER features of the program rather than the export feature. After all, if they want you to upgrade, why would they make sure it's a painless process? (not a conspiracy theorist, I promise :)
A file created in 7 on a PowerPC Mac would STILL crash 6.0 or 6.5 when you try to open it on a similar machine. It has nothing to do with the transfer from a Mac running Intel chips to a PowerPC Mac. It's just the way Q7 does that for now.
I am regurgitating what I was told from a certified apple tech. Hope this helps.

Back