Quark finally goes native!

man, it's a pity they were about a year too late. i've already made the move to indesign. i may move back to quark, tho, if i can catch a demo of their X product some time. i wonder if there are any other changes to the software.

Considering my company just bought about 9 upgrades to Quark 5, it really sucks that Quark will probably charge us full upgrade pricing again for Quark 6. I mean what are they really adding to it besides OS X compatibility? Nothing that I've heard of so far... Screwed by Quark yet again.

It's too danged late for Quark... Quark is dead as far as we're concerned!

We've already upgraded/are upgrading to InDesign. PCs too - because we need all our software to be cross-platform...

Too little too late!

Goodbye Quark! :p

*Eyes Epson - Better fix the printer drivers or you're next! (borderless printing & roll paper under OSX)*

There's 1% chance Quark releases something better than InDesign 2 next year…

I'm ready to bet… on the 99 other ones :D
InDesign, folks ! A new standard so that the DTP industry can breathe a bit.

Originally posted by toast
There's 1% chance Quark releases something better than InDesign 2 next year…

I'm ready to bet… on the 99 other ones :D
InDesign, folks ! A new standard so that the DTP industry can breathe a bit.

In a way then I suppose it's actually a good thing its taken Quark so long to get on the ball.

It's gonna be a pay-for upgrade.
Quark 5 hadn't many new features.

Those two facts make me think that Quark is REALLY gonna comme with something new this time. They had the time to think of it, they have a new platform, they have the DEMAND for something new.

But, if I'm wrong, if Quark 6 is just a carbonized 5, then everyone is going to throw Quark out of the Dock.

An interesting thread in a specialized forum (yes, that's the same Toast :D):

http://www.desktoppublishing.com/bo...3&Forum_Title=General+QuarkXPress+Discussions

I switched to InDesign the moment it came out. I was sick of Quark's inability to export PDFs and, often times, the postscript files would Distill improperly. Plus, I could not stand having to constantly resave a flattened version of my Photoshop files for each little change due to Quark's lack of native Photoshop file support. Granted, I understand there are plugins for such things, but by the time you buy all the plugins, you've dropped a ton of cash just to catch up to InDesign's standard feature set.

And now, with ID's transparency support, holy crap, does that save time. I can't remember the last time I made a clipping path.

Unfortunately, there are still bugs. These bugs also apply to Quark AFAIK. Postscript and PDFs are still not what they should be. I can make files in ID that simply can't be distilled properly. I can make files with line strokes that when exported as postscript rasterize as really thick in Photoshop. I can distill files and open them in AI with all kinds of stuff wrong. I can prep files that appear fully correct in everything I open them in, but don't print or RIP. It's all over the place. You'd think the inventors of Postscript and PDF would be able to deply their own technology.

Back