QuarkXPress 6 and Illustrator 11

Quark 6
It looks like they still need to support native PDF export, transparency channels, OpenType fonts(?), native layered Photoshop/AI file import and a slew of other things before I'll consider going back to Quark. InDesign is for me.

AI 11
Speed is my single biggest gripe, glad to see they are taing it seriously.

Stupid Adobe. I'm excited for a newer Illustrator but I wish they'd fix 10 before moving on to 11. They said that speed is an issue but I think they should put out an update to 10 to fix the speed not just take a version jump to try again.

Quark 6 is a very small upgrade to Quark 5, which was already a tiny upgrade to Quark 4.

Illustrator 11 sounds great. I hope it'll combine Illustrator 10 new features and Illustrator 8 speed, which stays my biggest point.

I've played with the leaked beta of Xpress 6 all weekend long, and I am thoroughly disappointed.

I used to use Xpress 4.1 every day 3 years ago, but haven't really touched it since. I've never used Xpress 5.0.

That said - Xpress 6 looks horrible for an OS X application. The interface is sloppy, and features lots of un-aliased type in it's dialog boxes. The pallettes don't snap to each other, making arrangement a real pain.

Feature wise (from 4.1, which was the last version I used), there were a few improvements, but overall - for being 2 generations newer than 4.1, and coming 5-6 years later, it's a travesty.

How this company maintains it's dominance I will never figure out....

Glad to see some other people are having the same experience as I have with Quark 6.

serpicolugnut: How this company maintains it's dominance I will never figure out....

Quark software sticks to PostScript 2 architecture, which is printhouse industry standard. There you are.

don't forget the xtensions. from Darwin ($1000) to Inposition ($1500) through Design Merge ($2500) and many more vertical (and more expensive ones) there can be a lot of money tied up in Quark. not only that, but most of these XTensions do not have InDeisgn equivalents.

Wow, those XTensions and Postscript 2 architecture and money and quark dominance sound HORRIBLE. It makes me shudder.

:(

It's a drag, really - and mostly for Apple. Personally, I had no problem moving on to InDesign when it came around. But I'm not a big shop, either, we're only 4 people at Elixir...

What's important here, too, is that the Print industry _isn't_ computer industry. Printer shops and the like can't just buy the latest greatest every year (well, most can't). Those big machines _do_ cost, and their investment must be paid for before they upgrade. And that not only includes printing machines, but also RIPs, and ... software.

I have been using a printer bureau for years now that even stayed at a PostScript Level 1 process. Unbelievable, eh? Yes, but it was also one of the least expensive available and the people working there were first class. It's been bought now by a bigger one, services have gone down, prices up. :/

But back on topic: I can't wait for Illustrator 11. Wonder whether it will really hold what's promised... ;)

Originally posted by twister
Stupid Adobe. I'm excited for a newer Illustrator but I wish they'd fix 10 before moving on to 11. They said that speed is an issue but I think they should put out an update to 10 to fix the speed not just take a version jump to try again.
Damnit. I just ordered Illustrator 10 (educational)... Now If I want the newest version when it comes out shortly I'm going to have to buy it again, since you usually can't upgrade edu versions. Sucks. I'd certainly rather see a [downloadable] update to 10.

I never noticed a speed decrease in illustrator from 8 to 10.

But when I was using 8, I was on an OLD OLD mac, and when I got 9 and 10, I had a G4, heheeheh.

What exactly is so slow about it?

All the program has dramatically slowed down. From window managing to screen refresh, from tool selection to filters. Test it: get AI to show Tool Speed and compare with your AI8 copy if you have one.

AI has changed some of its core code from v8 to v9, that's the reason why v9-based AI programs are slower.

ok, i don't get what JPG 2000 is. Why would they upgrade a type of file? Does it make it a smaller size or something?
But that's cool, i'll probably see if i can grab a beta from [I DONT KNOW WHERE] (hehehe, im following macosxcom rules!). I am glad there are speed improvements! illustrator is soo damn slow!

JPEG 2000 is a new kind of JPEG that uses better compression methods, which are different of JPEG. Hence this new name. New name also because JPEG will get in video too.

Originally posted by gwynarion
Damnit. I just ordered Illustrator 10 (educational)... Now If I want the newest version when it comes out shortly I'm going to have to buy it again, since you usually can't upgrade edu versions. Sucks. I'd certainly rather see a [downloadable] update to 10.

Do not expect Illu 11 to arrive soon. If ThinkSecret has rumours about it, it means that they've heard some tidbits. Adobe has long beta periods, because they want to make sure that the quality's alright (not that they always succeed...).

Illustrator 10 needed to get out of the door because we were eagerly waiting to replace Illu 9 running in Classic. Upgrade pricing at Adobe is reasonable, I think. So I'm not afraid...

To tell you the truth, Adobe charges too much for their software. Sure, their software rocks, but even for upgrade it costs like 500 bucks. I think that once you buy it, they should charge the amount they do. Then they should charge only 100 dollars for upgrades, cuz honestly right now it's ridiculus.

androo - which upgrade are you looking at that costs $500? Every Adobe upgrade I've ever purchase has been between $99-$199. My upgrade from AI7 to AI10 was only $149. My upgrade from Golive 4 to Golive 6 was only $99. Photoshop 6 to Photoshop 7 was $149....

Illustrator is on a 18 month upgrade cycle, which means you should expect the next version sometime this summer.

Photoshop 8 is expected this fall (Nov-Dec).

Side note - I just received my copy of InDesign 2 (a friend who got a copy in the Apple Design Freely Promo sold me his for $100!). I can not believe how much better it is than Xpress! I had used ID back at version 1.5, and 2.0 is a HUGE improvement over both v. 1.5 and Xpress. I can't imagine what they are going to do in v. 3 (due out this summer), but whatever it is, it will leave Xpress further in the dust....

o yea lol..... but here in canada with tax it comes out to be about 300 if it's 100 american
but they still charge too much for new users....

Back