QuarkXPress/Suitcase problems

RacerX

Old Rhapsody User
I came across the strangest problem with the newest version of Suitcase. One of my clients loves Suitcase and have been using it for the last few years. His company just moved him up to one of the Quicksilver G4s (I did the transfer and setup of his system about a month ago), and one of the things that he could not take with him was his copy of Suitcase 8.2 because it didn't work on Mac OS 9.2.2. I installed ATM Deluxe 4.6.1 in the mean time so he could get some work done while he waited to get a copy of Suitcase 10.0.1 (which showed up last week). The people at Extensis talked him through the installation and everything seemed to work OK.

Monday morning I get a call saying that QuarkXPress (version 4.11) kept crashing when he tried to save documents. We first discover that it is a font problem (specifically, a problem with the Journal font which is used in one of his client's logo), but we had problems locating where the actual cause of the problem was. I tried uninstalling Suitcase and installing ATM Deluxe (which had worked on this project a week earlier), still having the same problem. I tried a fresh copy of his OS from an image I had backed up (the image was made when I set the system up a month earlier, long before this problem), still having the same problem. Finally I grabbed the copy of QuarkXPress off the same image and used it to replace the original one... problem fixed, sorta.

We were back to the system as it was more than a week before, so I carefully uninstalled ATM Deluxe and installed Suitcase. Bang! Same problem. So I try grabbing the copy of QuarkXPress off the image again (I was tired by this point so I went out of order), and the problem was gone. It seems that the XTension that Suitcase installed in QuarkXPress was the actual cause of the problem. Two days later, and my clients system is still running just fine, QuarkXPress stopped crashing and he gets to use Suitcase.

I just thought I would give you guys out there that use Suitcase the heads up on this problem and the solution that seems to have fixed it.

Back