Quartz Extreme on Powerbook G4?

vidiot1701

Registered
I own an original Powerbook G4, 500Mhz with an ATI Rage Mobility 128, 8Mb of VRAM. Just over a year old of course...

Will the future Quartz Extreme work on my Powerbook G4? If not, what happens? Am I just not using an accelerated version of Quartz then?

Thanks!
:confused:

Quartz Extreme will not work on your PowerBook, unfortunately.

There has been some confusion over Quartz Extreme, so let me attempt to clarify.

The requirements for Quartz Extreme are that you have an nVidia Graphics Card, or any ATI Radeon card. That means if you have a GeForce 2MX, GeForce 3, GeForce 4MX, GeForce 4 Ti, Radeon, Radeon Mobility, Radeon 7500, Radeon 7500 Mobility, or Radeon 8500, you can use Quartz Extreme.

Next, there is a RECOMMENDATION of 32 MB VRAM. This is not a requirement. Only the kind of graphics card is a requirement. So if you have a Radeon Mobility with 16 MB VRAM, you will still be able to use Quartz Extreme. This includes the latest iBook – it WILL be able to use Quartz Extreme.

Unfortunately, you do not have a qualifying graphics card, since you only have a Rage 128 Mobility. This means that you will only be using Quartz, not Quartz Extreme. No doubt Quartz will still be a little faster, but you will not get hardware benefits.

Also, Apple has included an option to turn off antialiasing. ;) This should boost your speed a lot if you need it.

From what I'm seeing with 10.2 Quartz extreme doesn't offload quartz for normal things anyway. When moving a window around on my PBG4 with a radeon mobility, CPU usage of window manager is still around 40%. I think quartz extreme is just for special effects like the screen zooming for people with poor eyesight ect...

okay, take your tower outside, we'll play a round of Quake III to decide who's right. I'm a TiBook man. ;)

Originally posted by Holmes
Where is the option to turn off anti-aliasing? I'm using 10.2 and I'm not seeing it.
I have no clue. Haven't used it. :\ I've seen a few screenshots with it turned off though...

(200th post! :D)

Back