Quartz Extreme Supported Machines?

keyizm

Registered
okay .. maybe i'm a duffus and totally got things confused but .. i thought the minimum requirements for Quartz Extreme (QE) was 16MB video card, no? i have a G4 450Mhz Sawtooth with apple standard Rage 128 Pro 16MB graphics card. i could have sworn i read somewhere that users of Sawtooth models just like mine would see slight improvements from QE.

anyways, i just did a clean install of 10.2 and i ran this utility i grabbed from versiontracker.com called "Quartz Extreme Check" and it tells me that, "The display is not accelerated." so does this mean i have to go plunk down money for a 32MB+ video card? if so .. any recommendations? i'd like to get something good but i'm not looking to spend an arm and a leg. is the ATI 8500 my only real choice or are there others? come pepz .. help me out .. please ..

Nay.... :)

QE is only supported (as yet) by a limited set of video cards. From http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/quartzextreme.html :

Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti or any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required.

If the the sawtooth boxen does AGP (I'm too lazy to go look it up), it should be a simple swap of the video card to get QE to work. I've got a G4/500 (AGP), originally equipped with an ATI Rage128Pro, that I just put a Radeon 8500 in and QE came right up - no additional config or driver install needed (take that, Windows!!! :p). And, games seem to be much happier about it also...

hey kenny .. i just went to that Apple URL you listed above and it says the minimum requirements for QE are:

* Requirements:
Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or GeForce4 Ti or any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required.

i think the catch here is that it says the minimum requirement (for ATI at least) is a AGP-based Radeon GPU with 16MB VRAM. while the Rage 128 Pro is AGP-based and has 16MB VRAM, its unfortantely doesn't posses a Radeon GPU so .. it can't take benefit of QE. thanks for helping me clear that up. it looks like i just might have to go out and grab an ATI 8500 unless anyone else has any suggestions. anybody ???

sorry to raise a dead old thread, but i have searched and searched and have not found a conclusive answer.

Does the Powerbook G4 (Gigabit) :

Screen: 15.2" active matrix TFT,
Monitor: 24 bit 1152x768,
Video Card: ATI RAGE 128 Mobility 4x AGP,
VRAM: 16 M

support quartz extreme?

I am going to buy one of these suckers second hand and i am curious wether it is accelerated or not.

Cheers

Back