Que Fire 24/10/40 under 10.1

krug

Registered
I have the Que Fire 24/10/40 Firewire burner. It works just fine under 9.2.1 with Toast 5, which is where I currently have to go when I want to burn a CD.

Under 10.1, I get nothing. Even though the drive is listed on Apple's "supported" page for iTunes, when I go to Preferences, then drive that is shown is not mine, and when I try to burn a disk, I am told that "burner or software not found."

If I put in a blank disk to try using Disc Burner, I get the dialog asking me how I want to prepare the disc. If I click on anything but Eject, the box goes away, and then nothing happens. Plus, I now cannot get the blank disk out of the burner unless I restart.

Does anyone know why the drive won't work even though it is supposedly supported? Does having Toast installed under 9.2.1 have anything to do with it? Should I just bag the whole thing and install the Toast Preview for OSX?

Thanks!

Odd problem indeed. I have a QUE 24x10x40 internal drive mounted in an ADS firewire enclosure, and it works great.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Yeah definately try to install the Toast Preview. If it works after you install that, reboot, zap your pram and then try using iTunes or whatever BEFORE trying Toast again. If iTunes still doesn't recognize a drive, but Toast does .. it looks like that's what you'll be using.

I really don't know what it could be since OS X has great FireWire support. Que! drives generally haven't gotten good reviews from consumers, but I think they use a Plextor mechanism. You can always toss an email over to QPS and see what they say...

*cough* hardware problem *cough*

I just bought a 24x10x40 generic firewire drive with a lighton mechanism. It toast saw it all the time under 9, but under 10 it is a bit quirky sometimes. If i try a finder burn it stops burning as its closing the session and just sits there. If i force quit the OS wont see the firewire drive unless i turn it off for 5 or 10 minutes. Sometimes it just wont see it at all, but when i come back an hour later it works. Definately strange...

*cough* hardware problem *cough*

Except that it does work perfectly under OS9, so there's nothing wrong with the mechanism. Believe me, my jaw just dropped when I copied my first CD with this drive in under 2 minutes. (My previous burner was a 6X, but SCSI, so that's why I had to buy a new one.)

I was going to say that the next step is to try the Toast preview, but with iTunes2 coming out in a couple of weeks, perhaps I'll hold off and see if that does anything.

I've heard others with the problem as well and went to the www.qps-inc.com to find out what was going on and found this on their web site.

"We must regret that at this time we do not support any of our devices with Apple Mac OS X (any version), Microsoft Windows XP Professional or with Windows XP Home Edition. We are currently in the process of qualifying the above mentioned Operating Systems with all of our Software Partners and Drive manufacturers."

I guess that one of the reason Apple no longer offers the Que Fire drives at the Apple Store.

Hope this helps,
Vulcan

I've heard others with the problem as well and went to the www.qps-inc.com to find out what was going on and found this on their web site.

"We must regret that at this time we do not support any of our devices with Apple Mac OS X (any version), Microsoft Windows XP Professional or with Windows XP Home Edition. We are currently in the process of qualifying the above mentioned Operating Systems with all of our Software Partners and Drive manufacturers."

I guess that one of the reason Apple no longer offers the Que Fire drives at the Apple Store.

Hope this helps,
Vulcan

My read on this is that this is a (hopefully) temporary situation. QPS is probably seeing a huge spike in the number of support calls now that 10.1 and XP are out. This message looks to me like the standard boilerplate we (I used to work for a large software company) when a new release of something hadn't been fully tested by our labs.... "It should work, but you're on your own for now."

I have a Que! FW CDRW burner, and it seems to work perfectly under 10.1 and XP. Funny, I always had trouble with it under 9.x - exactly the opposite problem...

Back