Question about connections (SMB, CIFS, AFP, etc)

Go3iverson

Registered
Hey all,

We're in panic mode here as the department I was ready to upgrade may have to back out and wait a full 15 months to move from OS 9 to OS X, so sorry if this post is blunt or rushed.

I've got every person in my production department using a Panther iMac for 45 minutes - 1 hour today. They log in via Active Directory with no problems and get their share. Oddly, the server where their share is located, was not able to load the second share the user wanted through the Network part of the Finder, so I manually connected them via cmd-K and used CIFS for the connection type. Now, being OS 9 users, file extensions don't mean much to them, but every document on the Windows 2000 server is showing up as an UNIX Executable and cannot be used on the desktop, even if you direct it to use the proper application. Two examples are a user moving a Quark document over and InDesign is grayed out when you attempt to select it. FontBook wouldn't load downloaded fonts via this connection as well. Now, I went back and connected them via AppleTalk and all the files are seen as they should be and can be used.

Obviously I can tell AppleTalk is a possible solution to this, but since
they are getting their home directories through SMB/CIFS, it doesn't really
help much then.

Any suggestions?

Back