question about diskwarrior and invalid B tree-node HD failure

will4358

Registered
Hello. I have read of others who had happen exactly what happened to me: main drive no longer is visable or boots. when I ran disk utility it stated : invalid B tree node. OK. So luckly I have disk warrior and was able to boot off that however, my question is, after more than ten hours, it is still doing a data survey or something so I figger the DW is not working. Is this a normal length of time and should I let it continue to run for how long. days?
Thanks,
Will

will:

Is this a normal length of time and should I let it continue to run for how long. days?
It is not normal (whatever normal is!). Disk Warrior usually completes the job in much less time. However, if it is still working it means that your directory has serious issues and needs a lot of work. If you want your directory repaired you should let it run. For how long? Yes, I have heard of instances where it ran for days.

If you have an up-to-date backup, you can stop DW, boot from the install CD and reformat. Then clone back from you clone (on a Firewire HDD).

Cheers :)

cak

will:

You are welcome. Please be sure to let us know if it continues for too very long. So long as it is working, however, there is hope.

Cheers :)

cak

I was planning to wait 3 days however after 2 days, the computer shut down without getting past directory data check. Not sure why computer shut down, power outage perhaps. Anyway, I think I will try another recovery application unless there is a shortcut to data recovery. All I am trying to do is recovery some data files on the disk. DW version is 3.03 on a mac OS 10.4.11 2 GB Ram dual 2GHz. Thanks for any advice.
Will

will:

Sorry DW did not complete the task :(

Sorry, too, that I have been out of town for a few days.

In terms of Data Recovery, you can download the demo version of DataRescue II and see if it finds your files. If it does, you can then purchase the license and it will allow you to recover your data. Note that you will get a better deal purchasing Data Rescue II from OWC than buying directory from ProSoft.

Dr. Smoke's FAQ Data Recovery is a helpful resource in this procedure.

Good luck.

cak

Back