Question about fps

laurie

Registered
What I dont understand is no matter what 3d graphic application im running Quake or fish screen saver, my framee rate will cange from being super smooth then jerk then supersmooth again. Is ther no way to get a consistent frame rate.
Imac g4 512 700mhs x 10.2.8

Zammy-Sam said:
did you check the apps that are running in the background?

Yes I have turned everything else off and its still very inconsistent, 60fps for 2 secs then 20 then 10 back to 60 all very quickly.

Hmmm, looks like your system is busy with something. Did you check Activity Monitor to see what is troubling your system? Most of the background apps are not shown in the dock but in the app Activity Monitor.
Another thing could be sound processing. Did you try to turn off sound or at least reduce the quality?

The only other thing running that is taking up cpu power is window manager. A couple of things like tablet driver are taking up 2% of the memory. Would this make it that bad?
I cant see why its so inconsistent, unless its got somthing to do with nvidea geforce mx 2s not being very good.

It depends on the complexity of what is being drawn. Unfortunately your iMac's graphics card is not very powerful.

One thing you can do to improve your 3d performance is to upgrade to 10.3 (Panther). Then, make sure you update to 10.3.4. OpenGL performance was enhanced in 10.3. I remember playing No One Lives Forever 2 and getting noticeably better snappiness when I upgraded. My iMac's graphics card is somewhat better than yours, though (it's a GeForce 4mx).

You should see some decent improvement, but I won't guarantee it.

Doug

I can second what dktrickey said. Your geforce mx2 is too weak for quake3 (don't know this fish screensaver). However, I don't think panther will be able to change this issue of yours. I would rather get a new graphic card if you really want to get rid of those fps-drops.
Ahhh, another thing would be to reduce the colour depth to 16bit instead of 24/32bit. I remember the mx-cards perform much better at 16bit.

I just installed osx panther and quake 3 now runs super smooth with most options on full. It seems that the graphic drivers in 10.2 were not up to much.

Im still getting the same "unable to find drawsprocket context' error in unreal tournament though. It starts to install then it just stops with the error message.
Any tips my wise friends?

The installer for Unreal Tournament was actually made for OS9. Do you have classic installed? After you installed it successfully, you can install the Unreal Tournament X patch and everything should work fine.
You are right about the graphic card in the iMac. Don't think this will be such an easy job if not even impossible.

Same error on classic.
Thanks.

Zammy-Sam said:
The installer for Unreal Tournament was actually made for OS9. Do you have classic installed? After you installed it successfully, you can install the Unreal Tournament X patch and everything should work fine.
You are right about the graphic card in the iMac. Don't think this will be such an easy job if not even impossible.

hmmm, sounds to me like something is wrong with the CD. Maybe you should contact the developers or just test it on some friends mac to be sure your system works just fine.

I agree. Ive just downloaded quake western and it starts up ok but when it tries to start the level it says, cant load hit file. Do you know what I should do.
Thankyou so much for all the help, Im a bit stupid when it coms to this kind of thing. Im a neo mvs collector. You just plug it in and turn it on.

visit quake3world.com and visit the macintosh forum. They'll be able to help you, and read their forum facts first, 85% of the time the answer is in their forum facts.

I have UT 2003 now and it runs ok on my first run lcd imac. Not as fast as Quake 3 but playable. Seems that a lot of options dont make a change to the FPS. What should I turn on off for the best perrormance?

PS love the death physics, very grim :)

laurie said:
What should I turn on off for the best perrormance?
Everything! :)
I remember there was a forum about this, where one posted a link to a special mac ut2003 forum. Check out search

Back