Question about Installing Tiger on new HD

Fawkes

Registered
After talking with a couple of techies I believe my original HD is degrading.

Symptons: App not launching, dock looses icons ( IMovie is now a big ?), mail accounts disappearing, Safari not accepting keystrokes or displaying text in text boxes, Unable to install PGP software; All this even after erasing the original HD and reinstalling Tiger. ( I also tried repairing Disk permissons.)

But now I'm up and running. (I'm using Safari now, Quicken continues to work, Mail seems to work after rebuilding the accounts........but for how long until something else happens?)

My question(s) is this:
Can I install Tiger on a second HD and make it the new boot drive, and still be able to copy over files from the original drive? Or is there a better technique?

I have:
G4 tower, dual 1 g processors, 1.5 gig RAM. (Purchased new 05/06/2002)
running OSX 10.4.3, with Norton Antivirus 10.0.2, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and iSight. (I'm trying to install PGP encrytion software but the installation does not work. I assume this is one of the symptoms previously mentioned.)

Your comments are appreciated!

It maybe the hard drive but Norton Utilities is extremely BAD for OS X. It has been officially discontinued in 2004 because it caused some bad problems in OS X. If you want a great disk repair program then get the best DiskWarrior.

Also the answer to your question is yes, OS X can be installed on multiple internal hard drives.

Launch Disk Utility and select your HD, not the volume on the drive but the drive itself. Then at the bottom of the DU window check the S.M.A.R.T. status. If it is "verified" then according to the manufacturer of your drive it is operating within normal tolerances. If it is anything other than "verified" or "not supported" your drive has failed and needs to be replaced immediately if not sooner.

The kind of problems you described can also be cause by flakey or marginal RAM. Running Memtest or Rember for eight to twelve hours will give you a decent check on your RAM.

Norton Anti-Virus 10.0.2 is officially compatible with OS X 10.4.3 but it has been implicated in problems such as kernel panics. Norton Utilities for Macintosh and Norton Disk Doctor are most definitely incompatible with any release of Tiger and will seriously damage the volume structure.

Thank you Satcomer and perfessor101 for you comments / hints.

I've tried running a memory test using Rember but my MAC logs out during the testing. When I log back in I have to start over. I've adjusted the "energy saver" perferences to "Never" for both the computer and the display. I have also adjusted the screensaver preference to "never". But evidently all that has nothing to do with the "Logout" that occurs automatically. I'm sure I'm missing something. Any way I can get a complete memory test done without my MAC logging me out?

Almost forgot. I have checked the SMART status on the drive and it does say "verified". So now I'm wondering if its the memory that is giving me problems. Please see previous reply about memory testing.

If you can stay logged in try to go to /Applications/Utilties and launch Console and look at it's system.log and crash log. This may help in your trouble shooting.

Back