Question about network storage devices (Buffalo)

Wrxified

Registered
I recently purchased the Linksys Network Storage Link so I could hook up my Lacie 250gb hard drive to the network at our home. My vision of what I wanted to do with the hard drive is not coming to fruition so far.

I wanted a backup hard drive that could be partitioned into a few sectors for backup (bootable type), itunes music and then another for misc docs and video editing storage. I wanted it formatted into what others have recommended the MAC OS extended journaling enabled. I've found though that if I partition and format the way I want then hook it up to the Linksys unit it's not recognized. I have to format it with the Linksys web mgmt tool. I think it puts it in a linux format. Basically if you unplug the drive from the network and hook it up to a computer directly it's not going to be useful from what I've found.

So my question is this. Do any of the NAS devices like the Buffalo Technologies one or others allow you to partition the drive and format it the way you want? Or do you know of a workaround for the Linksys unit?

Thanks

Back