Question about new mac ownership

Inline_guy

Dockboy
I might be getting a new mac, and giving my old (not very old 15in flat screen superdrive) to my parents. So my question has two parts. What is the best way to get all my stuff to my new mac? Firewire target mood? Second. How would I go around clearing the computer and restoring it to the factory settings so when they get it they can set themselves up as admin?

Matthew

I suggest you use an app called Carbon Copy Cloner. Hook the new system up as Firewire target mode, use Disk Utility to reformat the drive, and then clone your current drive to the new machine.

Will work like a charm. I did it with mine when I recently got a new machine.

Really.... That kind of makes me nervous, but sure seems easy. I don't have tons of files to trasfer. Another thing I would like is to make my old mac act like it is just out of the box. You know where after I set it up for them, it will say... New User. Pick password.... ect ect ect. Like I would like to have it all ready to go at my house take it over and just plug it in, and have it act like it is the first time it was turned on.

Thanks for the app dixonbm.

Matthew

put in the system restore disk, and erase everything and reinstall... when it is all finished, shutdown instead of restarting, and it will come up as if it where a brand new mac.

I wouldn't use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the new machine from the old. I would install all your apps fresh, then just transfer any files you've created to the new machine. You can use Firewire target, Ethernet, etc.

if it's not too many files just pull the files over and then reinstall the apps. stuff generally runs better when it's fresh, and that way you won't have to copy stuff you don't need like preference files and junk. i think it would be the fastest way too.

Pulling the files over:

If you only have one user on your 'old' machine, make sure that your new computer has the same user (short/long username). Then you can mount your old Mac via Target Mode and do this in Terminal:

Code:
sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Volumes/YOUROLDHARDDRIVE/Users/YOURNAME /Users/YOURNAME

This will not install any applications, but will also copy your mails, your settings for apps etc over to the new computer.

Back