Question about printing errors

abilectic

Registered
I voluteered to support a number of Mac users at my work.

Right now I have a user on 10.3.9 (G5) who cannot print anything to a network printer from any application, word, text, or preview.
the printer is an HP color LaserJet 4600.
the error messages are different depending on the application, most are just nonspecific errors that say to select the printer in printing prefs and try again. one of the errors says not enough memory to print, but user has 1.5GB of RAM.

I have removed the printer and attempted to re-add it, but I still get the vague error message that an error occured when trying to print.

I checked the config. on the printer itself and it is correct, user can print fine from her Windows machine in the same office. I went back to my office in a different building and configured her printer on my G4 (10.4) and printed to it fine as well.

Also the user cannot access a shared drive we have for Mac users using the afp protocol, when we try to attach we get the prompt for login (guest) and then an endless pinwheel, I suspect the two problems are related.

I have released and renewed the DHCP settings, with no success. User can surf the web and access shared drives that use SMB but not AFP.
the firewall is not turned on.

Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

I suspect you are right about the appletalk coincidence, too. Resetting the printer, computer and router are how I fixed that on my home network.

Have you considered moving to IP/HP Jetdirect protocol? It's more reliable.

gsahli said:
I suspect you are right about the appletalk coincidence, too. Resetting the printer, computer and router are how I fixed that on my home network.

Have you considered moving to IP/HP Jetdirect protocol? It's more reliable.

I have indeed tried that, I tried to add this printer and others with just about every protocol available with no success.

Back