Question concerning printer setups

twitch79

Registered
Hi there

I have about 50 network printers in my enviornment and have them all set up in server admin with LPR, and also shared out to my client machines via Workgroup manager with LPR.

There is a whole system of queues and logs etc that has been created on the server, but when my clients pick up the printers from their managed settings in workgroup manager, the system doesn't seem to function appropriately. If I add, for example, my executive office laser from workgroup manager to one of my exec's laptops, he or she will find the printer on his/her list but whenever a job is sent the laptop connects directly to the printer via IP and bypasses the server all together. Ideally I would like to have the server spooling the jobs and logging appropriately, and i'm a little stumped as to why this isn't happening. Do i need to share the printers with a protocol other than LPR?

In the past, this hasn't been much of a problem so I've let it slide to this point, but we've recently added some printers that are too new to have drivers included with tiger server. I've added the printers and their appropriate drivers to the server, but when i share them out, the clients (not having the new driver files) define the printers as "generic postscript printer". Having migrated from the windows world, I'm used to loading the drivers up on the print server and having it handle them, without the need to push the drivers to the clients.

Any ideas how i can get the jobs routing properly through the queues on the server?

Thanks,
Neil Broadbent
IT Dept.
Master's Academy & College
Calgary, Canada

Back