question on updates security

Alpha

Registered
Hi, I was wondering if OS X has some safeguard against viruses that masquerade as an update? I don't know if an update-masqueraded-virus is probable at all in mac as it is in windows, but I was just wondering, in case the day should ever come.
Most of the time, I'll be notified of updates and then asked if I want to install them. But today, it seems an update just started downloading automatically without my knowledge, shortly after I opened a program that I havn't used in a while. The update was Adobe Bridge 1.0.3 which I searched in google and found, but it said download size was about 44 MB, whereas the one that was downloading on my computer was 66 MB, so I cancelled the download. I know there aren't any os x viruses right now, but I just want to be prepared.
It just seems odd that something would download without my knowledge. Is there a way to set it so that downloads can't happen without my consent and password? And is it a normal thing for an update to download in os x without my knowledge? Why would it do that?

I thought you were asking about Apple's updates, but obviously you include software update services by other applications... To trick you into downloading something else would have to include tampering with your network settings, DNS etc., because normally, Adobe's update service would only get updates from one specific URL. Or the hackers would have to infiltrate Adobe's update servers. Not unthinkable, but highly unlikely to happen, I guess...

'I was wondering if OS X has some safeguard against viruses that masquerade as an update?' - no.

'It just seems odd that something would download without my knowledge.' - perhaps you were, when the 'Adobe' suite was installed. As part of the the 'Adobe' suite installation so was (the application) 'Adobe Updater' ('/Applications/Utilities/' folder). It appears that the default 'Adobe Updater' preferences are set such that the 'Automatically check for updates every month' check box is check marked, the 'Download all updates automatically and notify me when they are ready to be installed.' radio button is selected, and an assortment of listed 'Adobe' product's check boxes are also check marked. Therefore, the application is operating as the user expected it to and not the result of some yet offically documented virus or similar type of software ('in the wild' infecting more than just several security software publishers Macintoshes).

'Is there a way to set it ['Adobe Update' and not MacOS X itself - barhar] so that downloads can't happen without my consent and password?' - yes, open (run, launch) 'Adobe Updater', and click on the 'Automatically check for updates every month' check box to remove the check mark.

'And is it a normal thing for an update to download in os x without my knowledge?' - After installing any application, it is the responsibility of the user to understand the default settings of the application(s) installed. And to make any setting changes to their preferences.

'Why would it do that?' - your questions are directed such, as the update operation was a MacOS X (thus Apple) action - it was not. It was an 'Adobe Update' 'Preferences' setting, permitted by the user.

Back