Questions about upgrading to Panther

Lord Maelstrom

Registered
Seeing as how I've never upgraded OS X (I'm still on 1.5), I had a few questions about all my files and everything.

Will all my files carry over in the upgrade? If not, what's the best way to save them.

I use iTunes Music Store. Will all my songs that I've purchased carry over into Panther?

Thanks. I'm really kinda cluless about this stuff.

If you "upgrade", everything will still be there. However, some programs for 10.1 might not work with 10.3.

You might instead do a "fresh install" which will wipe out EVERYTHING and start fresh.

Some say that's a better option to optimize your OS but it's a lot more work.

You are NOT allowed to download music you bought from the ITMS more than once. So if you wipe everything you cannot download them again. However, if you upgrade you're OK.

Or if you save all the files and then put them back on the Mac after your fresh install then you can still play those protected ITMS files as long as you Authorize that computer. (you can only have 3 computers authorized) If you do a fresh install be sure to DEauthorize the computer first. Once you do an install it'll be like a new computer to the ITMS. You don't want to "waste" an authorzation on a computer that no longer exists.

If you forget that you can call Apple to deauthorize but it's easier to do it yourself.

How to save files? CD? iPod? Portable harddrive? Take your pick.

Actually, the iTMS doesn't care how many OS's you're running on an authorized computer. It just cares which computers are authorized, so you don't have to deauthorize your computer before upgrading.

The best method, as Woody stated, is doing a clean install. This is also the worst method, however, as you will have to backup and restore all—and I mean all—of your data before doing this. The next best method is doing an archive & install, which installs a new System folder and moves the old one to a folder called Previous Systems. This affects your System and Library folders more than anything, but once you're done you can move stuff from your old system to your new one, like fonts, preference panes, screen savers, etc.

[Anecdote mode]I bought Panther recently, and I figured I'd simply do an archive & install since it took so long to back up everything to my external HD. So I ran the installation, which went fine, and when I booted into Panther, my Dock started crashing and application switching via Cmd-Tab and Exposé didn't work. Eventually I ended up backing everything up and doing a clean install, and I managed to drag the problem out again. Turns out it was from an older version of Application Switcher Menu, which I promptly disabled and upgraded. This was all earlier this week, too.[/Anecdote mode]

I know many people who used the archive and preserve method to install. This will give you a fresh install.

Archive and Install moves your old system aside and installs the new one. A clean install erases your hard drive and installs the system. And the Upgrade option turns your old system into the new one.

Looking through the installation manual (page 4), It shows three options for users already on OS X.

The first option (Upgrade) seems the easiest and simplest. As it keeps all of my files and music, it seems like the way to go.

So if I choose that one, all my old stuff will be there plus all the new applications and features? It may not be the best option as stated, but it won't drastically change my Panther experience or have any nasty bugs, will it?

Upgrade is definitely the easiest and simplest option, but it is also the worst. It keeps around all the dreck from your old system, which has caused problems for many users. Archive & Install will leave your user account(s) alone, keeping your music and data where they are. If you've moved some of the default programs (I for one put IE and Safari in a folder called Internet and I put all the iApps in one called, well, iApps... and so on), it will put those programs back into the Applications folder, but other than that it doesn't do anything drastic, and it doesn't even erase your old programs if you've moved them.

I would recommend doing the Archive & Install. It's plenty easy to delete your Previous System once you're done.

If I did Archive and Install it, it would just move all my computer files into a system folder.
So I could then just move all of the things I want into from my old OS X into Panther? Sounds just as simple as upgrading.

I think you're getting it now. ;)

The advantage of Archive and Install is that it will create a fresh system that doesn't include all the crap from your old one, so all the files will have correct permissions, there won't be any incompatibilities, etc. Then you can just move anything you've customized over and toss out the old system.

And don't forget to repair permissions (utilities, disk repair) once you have upgraded (or once you upgrade and do the system updates), it could save a bunch of hassles.

So just to be sure I have: (Minor details left out)
1. Pop the disk in, double click on icon, etc.
2. When options, appear choose "Archive and Install"
3. Let Panther Install (Restart afterwards?)
4. Then move all my old files, music and folders from the old system folder into Panther.
5. Enjoy Panther's many fun applications.

Another question came up while reading the installation manual:
Will I need to do anything with the internet? (Vague question)
I'm currently connected ot the internet by Comcast Cable (Always connected). If I switch to Panther, will I need to fix anything? Will I be able to acess the internet as normal?

Lord Maelstrom said:
So just to be sure I have: (Minor details left out)
1. Pop the disk in, double click on icon, etc. Pop it in, restart and hold the C key.
2. When options, appear choose "Archive and Install" Yes, I believe it's after the license agreement.
3. Let Panther Install (Restart afterwards?) You should customize your installation before that. And yes, you'll need to restart afterward, but it'll be obvious.
4. Then move all my old files, music and folders from the old system folder into Panther. Most stuff you won't need to move at all, if it's stored in your User account. If there's anything extra in your root Library folder (fonts, screen savers, etc.) you will need to move these.
5. Enjoy Panther's many fun applications. Ooooohhh, yeah! :)

Another question came up while reading the installation manual:
Will I need to do anything with the internet? (Vague question)
I'm currently connected ot the internet by Comcast Cable (Always connected). If I switch to Panther, will I need to fix anything? Will I be able to acess the internet as normal?
You should be able to access the Internet without having to do anything... I didn't have to set anything else up. If you have a static IP for your computer like if your router is dynamic but it assigns a static IP to your Mac), or even if not, then you should be fine. The only thing you have to connect for is registering with Apple, but that's not completely necessary.

It will prompt you to run Software Update as soon as you're done installing, though. You should do this.

I'm going to install Panther this afternoon. I've already decided to do a Fresh Install in order to squeeze out every bit of performance from my 500MHz iMac.

I've already got all my programs on CD or somewhere ready to be reinstalled. And I have all my MP3s on CD to be re-imported.

I have also decided not to have Classic or OS 9 bootable on my system - I just have no need for it.

When I do a fresh Panther install will it re-install OS 9 or keep what I got? If so, can I tell it not to install?

Or...how do I delete it once it's there? Do I just remove the OS 9 System folder? Is that it? Will that remove EVERYTHING?

I've also read that I should install OS 9 with Panther and then remove it after-the-fact because it will install some stuff that I would need if I were to ever want to install OS 9 later. And that without this stuff I'd have to re-install Panther again, not just OS 9. I don't mind doing that (installing 9 now and then removing it just to be safe) but what's that all about?

OS 9 would have to be installed separately after you install OS X if you want it.

If you've backed up everything, use the Clean Install, this will wipe the drive and give you a new install, with a new like drive, the best way of installing.

cwoody222 said:
I'm going to install Panther this afternoon. I've already decided to do a Fresh Install in order to squeeze out every bit of performance from my 500MHz iMac.

I've already got all my programs on CD or somewhere ready to be reinstalled. And I have all my MP3s on CD to be re-imported.

I have also decided not to have Classic or OS 9 bootable on my system - I just have no need for it.

When I do a fresh Panther install will it re-install OS 9 or keep what I got? If so, can I tell it not to install?

Or...how do I delete it once it's there? Do I just remove the OS 9 System folder? Is that it? Will that remove EVERYTHING?

I've also read that I should install OS 9 with Panther and then remove it after-the-fact because it will install some stuff that I would need if I were to ever want to install OS 9 later. And that without this stuff I'd have to re-install Panther again, not just OS 9. I don't mind doing that (installing 9 now and then removing it just to be safe) but what's that all about?
Installing OS 9 with Panther will ensure that you have the OS 9 drivers on your hard drive. Without these, you will not be able to boot from OS 9 (should you decide to do so in the future).

And OS 9 does not come with Panther.

I've redeemed an iTunes Gift Certificate, and have bought a few songs. I have around $15.00. Will thats still be there in Panther, or should I hurry up and use it now?

Make sure your iTunes certificate is in your home folder. You shouldn't have a problem.

Arden said:
And OS 9 does not come with Panther.

Yes it does.. i just installed panther on my brand new G5. and you can after install os 9 just as you can install iLife from the installations DVD..

Back