Questions about using Jaguar w/o mouse.

3mors

HampCake Studios
I'd like to know how u move selection on two or more button on the screen.

For example, when u want to shut down the system, a window with two button appears. These buttons r 'cancel' and 'shutdown'.

If I use arrows keys to change selection, it doesn't work.

------------------------------------------
Another question:
On my desktop I have some icons.
If I want to change selection on them I use arrows keys.
But I hav to move like tower on chess, up/down or left/right.
If I have two icons placed in diagonal, I can't change selection.

Can anyone help me?

Go to the Keyboard options in System Preferences, click on the "Full Keyboard Access" tab, then click on the "Any control" option at the bottom. Now you can use Tab to switch between the options and can use the spacebar to select them.

You can also use tab to cycle through icons on the desktop. Happy tabbing ;).

Universal Access will also allow you to use the number pad to move the mouse cursor. This can be used as a last resort for things that refuse to use the keyboard.

I don't think it's necessary to change to "Full Keyboard Access" for most items. The <esc> key functions as "cancel," in every app I've tried, including system shutdown dialog. In other apps, where more than one choice is given in a dialog, the <cmd> + initial letter seems to work. For instance, in a "close" operation, in Appleworks and in MSWord, a choice is given to "don't save" "save" or "cancel." "Save" is the default option, and the button is highlighted. "Cancel" works by the <esc> key, and "Don't save" works by <cmd>+"d".

Sorry, friends. I used the wrong symbol. Please insert esc key where appropriate in my previous post.

In other words, what I wrote was: The esc key functions as Cancel, in every app I've tried, including the system shutdown dialog.

Right, but I didn't want to know a way to skip a command (ESC key way).

I wanted to "navigate" between all possible selection.

Using TAB key I solved the problem.

Let me try this one more time, and type it in correctly. :)

In every app I've checked, the cancel function is triggered by using the esc key. Where more than one option is given in a dialog, the cmd key + the initial letter of the choice works to activate that choice, as in "don't save," where cmd+d works.

I hope this is a bit clearer.

I discovered this last week, when I got tired of reaching for the mouse every time I closed a document, either in Appleworks, MSWord, Excel, etc.

Originally posted by 3mors
And if there r 'Cancel' and 'Close', cmd + c doesn't work.

Cancel would be either Escape, or cmd-period.
Close would probably be the default button (highlighted), Return or Enter does the trick.

Your original question about Shutdown, Restart, etc:
Return or Enter for Shutdown
R for restart
Escape or cmd - . (period) for Cancel
S for Sleep

Back