questions about VirtualPC

cwoody222

Registered
Although I don't like it, I might have to install VirtualPC. But I have a few questions. I'm kind of nervous about installing it.

1) First off, I'll probably end up getting the DOS version since I have Windows discs. Will someone here be able to walk me thru the Windows install when/if I get that far?? ;)

2) Does it slow down your system too much? Or can I leave it running most of the time and still use my other programs normally?

3) Does it 'take over' my Desktop or is it contained in window that I can send to the Dock and/or resize to get it out of my way?

4) Will it automatically see my DSL connection? Will my Mac and the PC programs both be able to see the connection? Will I need to install the program needed by my ISP to run my DSL? (Verizon, BTW)

5) How do I install programs from CDs? Won't my Mac try to install them? Do I just click on My Computer and proceed normally like I was on a full-fledged PC?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 - When you get VPC Dos, and want to install Windows on it, it should be pretty easy. Startup VPC, insert CD in to drive, and at the C prompt, type SETUP.exe, and it should launch Windows Setup utility.

2 - Under OS X and VPC4 you can set up how much CPU power VPC takes. If you leave it at it's default setting, VPC will run just fine in the background and you shouldn't have any real drain on your system (at least I don't on my G4/800DP/1.5GB RAM)

3- You can either run it full screen or in a window.

4-It should automatically see your DSL connection. I use Airtport connected to a Cable Modem, and VPC automatically configured itself.

5-Installation is just as simple as if it were a real PC. Put the CD in the drive, close it, double click on my computer, access the CD drive, and launch the setup file. Automount CD's will do just that under VPC. The CD will show up on the Mac desktop by default, but you can setup VPC to only show removable media in VPC and not on the Mac as well.

Just remember - VPC will not give you enough speed to run most games that use 3D. It's a great solution for those rogue PC only business apps though....

And don't be alarmed if you don't see anything happening for a long time. VPC is useful but incredibly slow at displaying CDs and launching programmes, though it does get there in the end.

Just by the virtual pc upgrade that is what I did since I had my own versions of windows. It will let you install it just fine. The only thing is don't install the version of windows that doesn't have the extra resources because it won't recognize your dsl settings then. Other than that you are set. If you have any questions email me at jermsmingy@mac.com

I just installed Windows 95 in VirtualPC today. I only had the PC DOS partition and a windows 95 Upgrade CD. So I was afraid I wouldn't be able to install an Upgrade CD without a previous version of Windows. But fortunately I also had Windows 3.1 install floppy's. But I am missing Disk 3. So I thought, "Crap. I need to find a full install!" But I tried a little trick. The Upgrade CD will ask for you to insert just the first disk to prove you have an older version of Windows. So I did that and it was off and running. Next I gotta put on 98SE.

I tried Linux once but it got stuck when it asked for my Monitor type. Since it's an Apple iMac LCD screen I had no idea what to pick. D'OH! So I wasn't able to use Linux.

Anyway. For some reason the cursor acts really strange for me in Windows. First there's a weird problem where the cursor moves but the actual "Click Point" is half the Horizontal cursor position. So if I had the cursor at 80 pixels, it would think I clicked at 40. If it was at 230 pixels it'd think 115. I don't know why. It does this when I use anything higher than 640x480 or if I use Paint.

My other problem is that the cursor just moves jerkilly.

I am on a iMac G4 700. But I guess the lack of L3 Cache and watered down G4 stuff makes it slower.

Jasoco, have you tried it this way?:

In VPC, launch the control panel; then go make a cup of coffee

doubleclick the 'Display' icon; then go make another cup of coffee
(cancel any OSX-style warnings about user settings)

make sure Colours is set to True Color (32 bit) and Screen area is set to 1024 by 768

It's the faintest hope that might possibly cure your click point trouble, but I am very uncertain and probably talking rubbish, but it can't do any harm other than waste a bit of your time. At least you'll get rehydrated while waiting for panels to open.

As for the jerks, I've never found a Winny 'chine with smooth cursor movement. Maybe Winnies have a slower refresh rate than Macs?

Originally posted by Lazzo
Jasoco, have you tried it this way?:

In VPC, launch the control panel; then go make a cup of coffee

doubleclick the 'Display' icon; then go make another cup of coffee
(cancel any OSX-style warnings about user settings)

make sure Colours is set to True Color (32 bit) and Screen area is set to 1024 by 768

It's the faintest hope that might possibly cure your click point trouble, but I am very uncertain and probably talking rubbish, but it can't do any harm other than waste a bit of your time. At least you'll get rehydrated while waiting for panels to open.

As for the jerks, I've never found a Winny 'chine with smooth cursor movement. Maybe Winnies have a slower refresh rate than Macs?

Thanks. I tried that. While I can't run it Windowed at 1024, I don't have a jerky cursor anymore. And the pointer is where it should be.

I know VPC is slow, but it's not THAT slow. I didn't even have time to open my can of Mountain Dew.

I never got used to running Windows at 1024, but I guess I can.

I know I could probably just get a Walmart $300 PC for what I want to do, but hey, this is free. (Avoids any illegal banter) Though, at least the Walmart PC has Linux preinstalled. That would save me the trouble of having to even suffer through long unrewarding installations which end with either a non loginable text loging screen, a frozen partially loaded desktop, a stuck installation or me going back to Windows. ;)

Strewth - one of my tips actually worked??? Now I feel I've almost justified my macosx.com membership!

I've got VPC 5.0.3 running Winlose 2000, on a dual G4 450. That's probably my speed issue. I got fed up with that, so I spent £750 ($560) on a PC with XP.

I haven't tried networking VPC and the real PC yet, that could be an interesting excercise - wonder if that works better than 'connect to server', if at all? I'll try that when I've got T I M E to spare!

Back