Questions regarding OS X on 2nd internal drive

AlanCE

Registered
I'm going to be putting OS X on my home machine (G4/450MP) but I want to put it on a separate drive. I'll probably be getting an IBM Deskstar 30GB or so. I want to retain my slower 20GB stock drive as my OS 9 drive, but i want to redesignate it as the slave and use the new IBM drive as master, installing OS X on it.

here is what I want to do, could someone please comment on whether or not it will work like this?:
1. pull the original OS 9 drive
2. set the OS 9 drive's jumpers to slave
3. set the new IBM drive's jumpers to master
4. install the new IBM drive
5. isntall the OS 9 drive
6. boot into OS 9
7. install OS X on the new drive

What I'm wondering about is booting from OS 9 after I redesignate the original drive from master to slave. Do you forsee any problems with this? I'd like to keep this as painless as possible as far as moving my files and systems around.

Thanks!

Alan,

Just make sure you use the OS9 Software Install CD rather than the Software Restore CD. Otherwise you'll end up with Classic choking when run from OSX. See <a href="http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=379">Classic won't start: HD Drivers</a> in the Report Problems discussion section.

Steve

[Edited by Admin on 09-30-2000 at 11:28 AM]

I've got a second drive; however, it a SCSI drive and my main drive is the ATA-66 that came with my B&W.

Your going through too much trouble. Unlike PC's the Mac can boot from any drive. Just install the new drive as the slave and after installing OS X on it, you can use System Disk to select which drive is the boot disk.

PS: The selection of which drive to boot is stored in the PRAM and not on a hard drive.

the instructions for G4's with two internal IDE drives is to put OS X on the "original" drive which I take to mean the "master" drive.

I did what I'd outlined above and it wouldnt boot into X after the install. not sure where to go from here.

Alan,

How did you format your second drive?

I have a 20 GB (original WDC) drive and a second Quantum 30 GB drive on my 450MP.

I used the OS9 Erase Disk and formatted it for Mac OS Extended. I then used Disk First Aid to repair. I next used the OS9 System Install CD to load 9 onto the drive (this provided the Hard Drive drivers so Classic would work). I installed OS X without a problem, and it didn't seem to matter whether the drive was master or slave; both worked.

It sounds like you want OS 9 on your old drive and not on the OS X drive. You may have to load 9 on the new drive anyway (and then delete it latter if necessary) so that all the HD dirvers will be in place.

Steve

The OSX install will format the drive for you; thats how I did it any way. If OSX installed with out any errors, try going out to Apple-Mac OS X-Developer and download the System Disk 3.3 utility and place it in your System Folder/Control Panel (this is a replacement for the Startup Disk panel and is designed to allow OS 9 to detect & select the OSX as a boot source).

Back