quick question on ibook memory upgrade

yachay

Registered
I just ordered 512MB memory to upgrade from the previous 128MB in a 600Mhz G3 ibook. Do I discard the 128 when I install the 512, or do I keep that in as the base?

Thanks for any help...

If you now have only 128 MB in it, the 128 MB RAM will stay in it, and you just install the other 512 MB to it.
The only way / reason you'd take away 128 MB would be you having now 256 MB of RAM, 128 MB original and 128 MB added - you would need to move the added 128 MB.

I'm not sure exactly which 600mhz ibook you have, but all the ones i could find have 128 soldered in place and a free slot, meaning that the 512mb you bought will add to what you have rather than replacing it, making for a very respectable total of 640mb.
For reference, i found this info at http://lowendmac.com/ , a great place for getting mac specs, codenames and other info.

[EDIT]- the ever helpful giaguara answered while i was typing, lol, see i had to look up the info while i suspect she already knew. I'll leave to post though, cos lowendmac is a good link for such stuff.

I'm not sure if it's the same, but I Installed 512MB memory into my 12" 867 Powerbook and had to remove a single 128MB stick( the PB came w/ 256MB).
I did not see the other 128MB stick, so I'm assuming that its built in or something like that. If that's the case, then you might not have to discard any memory and
your ibook will have 640MB.

Thanks everyone for their replies. I added it on top of the 128 and it works great.

thanks again

Back