Quick Time 7

Lt Major Burns

"Dicky" Charlteston-Burns
to answer those queries about qt7 being tiger only, check your software update - qt7 is in there.. presumably, pc availability is also 7

Got it. Thanks for the heads-up. For the record, the update is only available if you have 10.3.9.

So far, I wish I hadn't upgraded, though. Performance sucks compared to QuickTime 6. I used to be able to play my movies at double speed and it would be smooth as silk. Now QTP says it's displaying 60 frames per second, but it clearly isn't. The video is very choppy. I assume the performance will be better under Tiger. The live resizing is nice, though.

I'm now encoding a test H.264 movie. I just want to test playback speed, so I'm encoding a 45-second 320x240 MPEG clip into 1920x1080 H.264. Estimated time remaining: 152 minutes. AAAAAHHHH!!!!!! It's also wreaking havoc on my hard disk. I guess 256MB of RAM is just not enough for this. I never have problems encoding MPEG4, though.

Not too happy about this. I had Quicktime Pro with 6 and now they want me to pay again for Quicktime Pro 7? Unacceptable.

It's only $30, and it's been quite a while since they required QTPro users to update and pay. I think it's more than fair.

Why Mac users who paid $2000 for a computer and are willing to pay $130 for the latest OS updates complain about a measly $30 I don't know.

I will be updating and won't be complaining at having to pay another $30 after nearly 2 years of using QT6.

They aren't forcing you to upgrade quicktime. you can stick with 6.5 if you want.

Well, I installed it anyways even though I should have Tiger here in a few hours. I'm just so impatient :p

Is it just me or is Safari scrolling smoother? As well as Safari window resizing seems smoother as well. Maybe it's just me.

I love the live resizing. It's smooth as glass.

The reason you're paying for the pro license again is because Apple has to pay encoder licenses for H.264. Do you expect them to pay it for you?

Allright Allright! Good points made. Ill pay my $30 for the upgrade!!! Worth it for saving movies off the web and re-encoding in H.264 :)

Well... hmm. The sample H.264 movie trailers that Apple put up look really nice, but I can't seem to hear them... Anyone else having any problems with H.264 and no sound?

Edit: Actually, it seems that Quicktime 7 doesn't want to play any sound, for any of my movies, except for certain .mpg files... Grr... Is this happening to anyone else, or am I missing some preference file that I accidentally clicked or something?

so far, after seeing 720i videos, i'm uninmpressed. not at apple, just at the format - it's not that much different from dvd. i want to see video with 4mpixel still camera like quality in the next 10 years at least

It was smooth for me for smaller movies, but for those HD ones by Apple, which are awesome (but take forever to download), the live resizing was a little choppy too.

Lt Major Burns said:
so far, after seeing 720i videos, i'm uninmpressed. not at apple, just at the format - it's not that much different from dvd. i want to see video with 4mpixel still camera like quality in the next 10 years at least

2 things to consider:

MPEG-4 is a direct decendant of MPEG-2, so the encoding method of the same, just 'better'. So what you are seeing is similar quality as MPEG-2 in much smaller sizes. Plus, 4 mega-pixel is MUCH higher resolution than 720i, (I think 1024p is close, IIRC), so of course 720i isn't going to compare a 4 Mpixel still.

Since it is based on the same methods of encoding as MPEG-2, then it will have some of the same flaws in encoding as MPEG-2 (weaknesses in the same areas). However, with research in wavelet codecs, and a couple of experimental codecs being tinkered with, there is a good chance we can see more interesting codecs in the future.

drunkmac said:
Not too happy about this. I had Quicktime Pro with 6 and now they want me to pay again for Quicktime Pro 7? Unacceptable.
This is not new or unexpected.

Apple did the same thing when you upgraded from QT5 to QT6... and I think even the time before than when going from 4 to 5.

Back