quickbooks install

charleym3

Registered
Macbook pro, one year old, newly installed Leopard. Did an install from new in the wrapper Quick Books. Took all the defaults. QB requires the install disk in the drive in order to come up. We *cannot* figure out how to do the install or what options to set so that QB will launch from the icon w/o the disk in the drive.

Second problem. What is the magic incantation to load a Mac Numbers spread sheet into QB? MAC2009 is the version. We cannot figure out how to load a sheet into QB.

The MAC belongs to my wife. I can do the installation and follow your directions for options changes. She's an end user.

Thanks for the help.

Hrrrm . . . having failed to give the simple solution on another thread . . . this may be the problem: when people put in a disk and/or run a program off of a disk image, they are not, technically running the program off their computer--they have not actually installed it.

For MOST applications, all you have to do it click on the image of the program and stick that in the Applications Folder--or subfolder. THAT installs the program.

Some still have a formal installation in that when you click on the image it either goes to a familiar installation page OR when you first click on the image in your Applications Folder, it will go through the installation such as require registration numbers.

It may be you have just been running it off your disk.

Here is, hopefully, a pictorial example: *Vigorously Searches for Disks*

Old Style Installation:

You stick in a disk, it opens:

Installation-Click.jpg

You will be asked your password to load on your account--Admin if for all users:

Installation-Admin-Password.jpg

click on that and you get the Installation Page you may be use to in the horrid and vile world of PCs or earlier OS's like OS 9:

FamiliarInstallation.jpg

That will install TechTools on my computer . . . again!

Supur Kewl OS X Version [Tm.--Ed.]:

Here is your disk image--dmg--which will create a temporary "disk"--or you get the same thing when you pop your disk in:

OS-XInstallationDMG.jpg

click:

OS-XInstallationDMG-Click.jpg

OS-XInstallationDMG-Drag.jpg

note what it says: you drag the image directly in to your Applications Folder:

OS-XInstallationDMG-Drop.jpg

It will then ask for my password again . . . and there you go.

On some programs--such as TechTools--you can actually "run" the program off the disk or even disk image. THAT confuses some people since they think the creation of the image is installation.

Now, does that solve your problem? Hell if I know! I do not have Quicken, but it is a very common mistake :)

--J.D.

Back