Quicken and multiple users

sirharper

Registered
Anybody else try to have multiple users share a common Quicken data file? Simply placing the datafile in a shared location is alone seems not sufficant to allow other users to contribute.

You might need to change the ownership and/or permissions on the file to get it to work. I would think that would be the first step.

I got it to work.
I obviously changed all of the permissions on the data file and the quicken files. But, there was a file tucked away under quicken's folder called "quicken essentials" it is a file called "quicken quotes" once I gave that one r/w access to both of us it started working.

Although, you also would want to check that you are really using the same datafile. Mine looked like it was, but it wasn't. I named it something that I was sure to recognize and then signed in as the other user and opened the same file.

Sure wish they'd post this on quicken's FAQ's

Good luck!
Brenda

I'd be real careful here - Quicken is not made to do this. Definitely play around with a "test" version for a while.

I use the Windoze version and tried it once with that. It appeared to work, but after a while I started to notice little things like reminders not clearing on both machines. Turns out even though I had the data files on a server, each PC was also putting stuff in a local directory. Now I don't know if the Mac version handles files the same way so have no idea if this applies; just be forewarned.

Turns out - at least on Quicken/Windoze - the only way to "share" the data file is to do a backup/restore. That is, backup every time you shut down (to some shared location), then restore every time you start. Really not a big deal, and it works. Same thing if you wanted to move data from desktop to laptop when you go on the road.

I checked with Quicken's technical support to see if there was another way to do it and they said that it is what they suggest doing. So, I would guess if it's their recommendation, it's okay.

Ours is on the same machine, just two different users. Maybe that's the difference.

Back