QuickSilver 733 Tid Bit....FYI

WhateverJoe

echo $row['what_tha'];
During a little break at work today, while setting up a brand new QuickSilver 733 up for intranet duty....

Me and a co-worker were wondering, a quick side by side Quake 3 test between his PC and the new G4..... humm....

We have been in debate about the "G4 Megahurt Fact" as he says...

It was a very good compare because the PC was a Dell (Of Course - "H"ell box as I say) with the similar Geforce2 MX card and with the same amount of ram as the G4 (512mb) .... The PC at 1.4ghz and the G4 at 733mhz ....

We wanted to compare map loading time along with fps stuff.... we both thought this was a good benchmark because the map loading phase is crunching thru CPU and Disc and therefore give a good indication of "System performance" where as FPS has a greater dependance on video card.

So the system that was 667mhz more was a lot faster right ??

I was even amazed that it wasn't ... Folks, I have to say that I am slowly accepting the "Megahertz Myth" information deply from Apple as a factual and acurate detailed account of the wonderful world of CPU technology.

The FPS rates between Mr.Quicky (the G4 733) and the Dell 1.4ghz were ( in real terms ) so close that it was only a trivial matter, but technicaly the Dell was pushing an average of 14 fps more [ note: we both used the exact config files in Q3A ] We both felt the slight difference could be due to video drivers.

So what became very interesting was the connect then load map and in the game time ... We both were poping in on a local private server and even though he (PC) would spawn first, it was only one second (at worse) later before I was spawing in the game (G4)...

So in the end the difference was so very little, if you covered each computer with a black cloth like a pepsi taste test, the sampler would have a very hard time telling you which one was the outstanding performer in playing Q3A (Between those two systems with similar video cards, HD's, and ram)

At any rate, This was the first time I seen first hand a little comparison using something that I feel in the end is something that matters more at home... not how fast MSIE launches but rather or not I am missing out Playing Quake on my Mac and not one of the Gigahertz Wintel systems ;)

I'm just simply stuned, because I felt until now, There was a great gap related to things like these, in performance.....

Back