Quicksilver & Konfabulator

untz

Registered
What are these applications Quicksilver and Konfabulator? What do they do and what are they used for? Are they free?

I am asking because I'm a OS X newbie, and saw somewhere that that they were in the top 5 *BEST* OS X apps of 2004.

With regards,

Konfabulator is a shareware app that allow you to personalize your desktop with little files called Widgets... with them, you can search in google and other search engines, be informed about the weather forecast, take captures of your screen, remotely control iTunes, and many other things.... in a very nice appearance too... Quicksilver is a launcher, but I have not used it, so I can't tell you a lot...

Konfabulator is basically what Dashboard will be. There's been a sale on it during MacWorld. QS is one of many launchers out there, thought I much prefer F10.

quicksilver is a pretty nice app and free. basically, instead of clicking on an icon in the dock or navigating to it with finder, you hit a couple of specific keystrokes to activate quicksilver and then start typing the name of the app or file you want to launch.

for example. to start up safari, i hit ctrl+space to activate qs. then i start typing s-a-f-a.... by the time i get to 'f' it has found safari and i hit enter to launch. much easier for me than going through finder, or grabbing the mouse all the time.

it also allows you to install plugins to do various other things like define words, send email to specific people, and use it as a calculator.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Quicksilver is free for the time being

according to Alcor - the main QS developer, QS will always be free. he doesn't even take donations - asks that they be given to actual charities.
pretty cool IMO.

Konfabulator widgets are usually cool (why would you use one that sucked?), but Konfabulator itself is a resource hog. Each widget is essentially a self-enclosed application, so the more widgets you have, the more CPU and RAM you have to devote to running it. This WILL bog you down if you have system specs like mine.

Back