QuickSilver Processor Fan about to take off?

dricci

Registered
Last night my QuickSilver started making a loud noise, (YES, they _can_ get louder!). Anyways, I opened the case while it was on and listened to see where it was coming from. It appears to be the processor fan that's attached to the heatsink. It's still spinning, just very noisily. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do or know why it started making noise? I could shut down and try blowing it out but I don't know if that will work... I have a busy weekend planed so I don't really want to head down to the Apple Store just so they can look at my fan and tell me it's "in spec" :rolleyes:

So does anybody have this problem, or more importantly, a solution?

Thanks!

Wow, sorry I didn't see this sooner. You've most likely got some crud in the fan. There's one way to try with the FAN running, is to stick an object in just enough to shock it to a stop. Do this once or twice and then see if it still goes.

If it does, shut her down, and remove the fan and get some canned air and just start clearing out the heatsink and the rest of the fan.

-Jim

Actually, I've determined it's the Hard Drive making noise now (although I think the fan has gotten a little louder too).

So I pulled an all nighter backing everything up to Zip and CD-R and I'm going to have to take it to the Apple Store and get it replaced soon. Thank god I have an iBook to hold me over :D

Back