Quicksilver speaker hiss

JeffCGD

Registered
I'm not sure whether this is a hardware of software issue with sound on my Quicksilver 733MHz G4.

From the day that I brought my machine home, more than a year ago, I found that my standard speaker in the front of my G4 Quicksilver tower makes a low hissing sound when I don't have a headphone jack in the audio out port (headphone port in the back), which is the usual, as I use my machine as a stereo system and general media centre as well as the many other jobs it performs.

When I was running OSX 10.x.x - 10.1.5 (and, I believe, also OS9.x.x), I would get the low hiss front the front speaker unless I hit the mute key (when nothing is plugged into the audio out, remember). Under OSX 10.2 (Jaguar), it seems to be there regardless. And my solution remains to run my audio through my stereo system (which is a shame, as the Harmon Kardon speaker is actually rather nice, and it's good to have that as a usable option).

Am I the only one experiencing this? Is it only my machine, my particular installation of my OS, or is it a wider experience?
I would be grateful for any feedback from the MacOSX.com readership.

I just found this on macfixit.com and figured it may help a little

Eliminating Power Mac G4 Audio Buzzing

After weeks of user complaints, Apple has addressed the issue of excessive humming and buzzing noises in its Power Mac G4 Mirrored Drive Door systems. Knowledge Base article #75408 states:

"Balanced or grounded audio equipment connected to the audio sound output port has a humming or buzzing noise. There are two types of audio equipment that have two different types of inputs and outputs. Professional equipment, which uses balanced inputs and outputs, and consumer equipment, which uses unbalanced inputs.

"When balanced or grounded audio equipment is connected to the sound output port on the Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) computer, you may hear a humming or buzzing noise. This is caused by what is known as a ground loop. Ground loop issues are usually completely eliminated if a stereo isolation transformer is used. An isolation transformer isolates the electrical grounds of two pieces of audio equipment and only allows audio signals to pass through.

"You should connect the line output of the Power Mac G4 to the input of the stereo isolation transformer, and connect the output of the transformer to the audio equipment."

I know this is talking about the mirrored door models, but at least it's something to look into

I dunno. There is obviously an issue with audio peripherals being electrically isolated and all, which first turned up in the Quicksilver model, but I think there is something else going on that may of may not be related. I've noticed a few posts here and elsewhere from non-Quicksilver owners who report some kind of "buzzing" problem, and everyone immediately points to the isolation. Maybe, and maybe not.

I have a gigabit 450DP with NO PERIPHERALS or even external speakers attached (just moved and they're still packed!) Did a clean install of 10.2.1 about 2 weeks ago. I now have a buzz coming from the built-in speaker. The buzz occurs after waking from sleep. I can stop it by hitting the 'mute' key twice - on then off. the buzz is gone until the next wakeup. if mute is on when it goes to sleep, there is no buzz on wake.

I dunno, but I think we have a different problem here (than the Quicksilver one).

My speaker just makes a hissing, like when you have a stereo speaker turned up too loud with no music playing. Damn annoying.

i dunno if this is related to any of your problems with your Quicksilver, but it just thought i'd throw this out:

i have dialup, and when i'm online, i get background noise through my speakers/headphones. this only happens when i'm online, though. so i know it's a modem issue for me. btw i have an iMac.

so i thought i'd ask, does this only happen to you when you're connected to internet? if so, it's a modem issue....

hiss, buzz, maybe a little of both. Not all that loud, but it's there. tap the mute once and it's gone, 2nd time to turn sound back on, sans noise. until next sleep wakeup, then do it again - never fails.

as for the modem, I'm on cable. I don't think I've ever even used the modem; definately not under X.

maybe I'll call Apple just for grins.:p

Back