QuickTime 5.0 not carbonized?!

mbuss

Registered
Surely I'm not the only one who's completely blown away by this surprise. Someone tell me I'm missing something!

Just in case you haven't noticed, the version of QuickTime supplied with OS X PB is actually QT 5, only they've given it the version number 4.something-or-other. It has all the features, and faults, that QT 5 has.
Although the fact that they don't just make one version to work on both platforms is somewhat odd.

You're right, I hadn't noticed that. What I have noticed is that the OS X version will not play MPEGs or AVIs—only MOVs. Very irritating.

Yes it does play mp3's. Your mp3's are probably globally mapped to play under musicplayer. Use the inspector to change it and open them.

QT 4 on OS 9 was much faster (i.e. didn't drop frames) than QT? on OS X.

Yeah, yeah, I should just get a G4.

Why get a G3 when my 1.5 year old G3 still kicks ass????
Apple should do a better job at making QT on X better.
I hope that QT provided with OS X final will be much better
and will have more functionality than the QT in OS X now.
Personally for the time being I use QT 4 under classic ;)

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
Why get a G3 when my 1.5 year old G3 still kicks ass????
Apple should do a better job at making QT on X better.

Yeah, but there are limits. After all, in Classic the computer only had to run Quickdraw. Now the drawing system is handling compositing and antialiasing on the fly, which is why drop shadows show up over Quicktime movies.

Furthermore, a lot of work is going between processes because the window server is a seperate process, so there's overhead there. All this means that it's never going to be as fast, but it's far more flexible and reliable. In other words, get a G4.

Back