QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 codec...for 20 bucks!!

I guess there will be some free 3rd-party plug-in avaliable soon and now, there is a VLC player for MPEG2 playback too.

And for DVD videos, we have DVD Player.

I think its very sad to take $20 for a viewer app. I thought Apple had a thing about helping clients and charging severs. Servers of content of all kind. Compare this case to; Acrobat Reader (free) / Destillier (pay), DVD Player (free) / DVDStudeio PRO (pay), RealOne Player (free) / RealOne Encoder (pay) plus many more.

I who has developed VcdtoolsX and MPEG Info X, and many other developers has like me been vaiting along time for this release. And I felt like we been promised that MPEG playback would be a standard feature of the QT API. So now that we have been developing apps that none will/can use. Thats not what I call fun after almost 3 month of developing.

All together its a 0.1 OS upgrade ($199), 15 mg Email + Homepage ($99), QT 6.0 Pro for Fullscreen ($30) and then MPEG Playback ($20). Its just too much for a student that developing freeware as myself.

And no I cant even play DVDs in quicktime with it.

Am I just whining?

Best Regards!
Jesper Nilsson
Systemjammers Develop.

I just wanted to add that this is NOT a Codec. A codec should be able to encode & decode content. This is just a decoder for viewing purpose only.

Note : Apple QuickTime 6 MPEG-2 Playback - 1.0

If it doesn't encode, it makes it kinda stupid.

29$ for QT pro, 20$ for playback, 100$ for .Mac, sorry Apple but you're just going down in my esteem

Indeed, for a student all this shiz is expensive! This is just revolting

QuickTime Pro includes the MPEG-2 encoder, which is required, of course, for making DVD-ready files from Final Cut/DVD Studio Pro.

I had never thought about needing to see MPEG-2 files natively, but now that I think about it, that would be nice.

i bought the mpeg2 encoder and it sporadically stops working every now and then. i have to reinstall it (which requires a restart) all of the time.

Back