Quicktime 6 problems!

Registered
ok, so I just installed the QT6 public preview, and it killed the audio on my laptop. I have a Pismo 400 powerbook, with OSX 10.1.4. The Mute/Unmute/Volume buttons all work with the exception that I get no sound trough the built-in speakers or via the headphone port.

I know the speakers work because I can hear the startup chime. This is highly frustrating.

Anyone having similar difficulties or known solutions please contribute.

No problems here, but keep in mind that it's a beta(or maybe alpha), so don't use it for anything really important.

RANT

I remember when the Quicktime 5 preview came out and people were complaining that it expired in the middle of their presentation at work :rolleyes:

Then they have the nerve to blame Apple even though it's a beta/preview

END RANT

Sorry, that was just hilarious and at the same time annoying that some people would blame Apple because a preview expired lol

yeah... but we've been told for months now that QT6 is finished. The only thing holding it back from release was that they were working out licensing issues for MPEG4.

That gave me the impression that the product was further along than it is. I'm not using QT6 for anything mission critical, but I'd still expect something marked as 'Public Preview' to not disable my hardware...

Apple has directions on how to reinstall QT 5 on Mac OS X on their website about the public preview.

We've been told for months that the PREVIEW was finished. They never said the actual product was finished.

The Public Preview has been stable for me, both in Jaguar and 10.1.4, I haven't lost sound. But if you *do* have lost sound, I'd reinstall QT 5 and wait for a later beta or news about how to work around.

Btw. QT 6 will be of use for consumers only when mp4 files arrive, which might still take some time. And to play Divx or other strange video formats, you don't need QT 6 - it doesn't even help there (okay, maybe the performance is a bit better).

I downloaded some freeware beta stuff (under classic that is) that allows me to play MPG4 videos (I searched for divx n versiontracker), but the weird thing is that I see the video, however I get no sound :p

What extensions do you use for divx stuff ? it would be nice to play em on my mac :)

one more thing. will we be able to play MPG2 files ?

Admiral

PS: silly me I have never tried playing MPG2 files in OS X's DVD player...will that work ?

No idea about the MPEG-2 files. Maybe Media Cleaner can do something about them...

I think DVD Player only opens .vob files in 'open files', not MPEG-2 files directly.

For DivX I'm using the (very) old ffmpeg, don't know if that's still around. DivX Doctor II corrects the sound problems (most of the time). Searching for 'divx' shows quite some stuff now on versiontracker.com (macosx tab).

Back