QuickTime 7.0.3

Mikuro

Crotchety UI Nitpicker
Has anyone installed it yet? After the painful upgrade to 7.0.2 (and subsequent downgrade back to 7.0.1), I'm a little wary.

Specifically, I want to know if Divx 5 works. QT 7.0.2 seemed to break compatibility completely, and if 7.0.3 doesn't fix that, I'm not upgrading (the Divx 6 beta just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid). I want to install it so I can check out videos in iTunes 6, but...if it's going to break Divx, it's just not worth it for me.

Why even bother with Quicktime to play your divx files? Let QT play QT files and download MPlayer or VLC for everything else. I routinely use both on all other types of media, because they don't require any extra codecs to download like QT does.

I highly doubt divx would be fixed in 7.0.3 anyway. Apple could care less if you can play divx files on their QT. If they cared, it would be built-in already.

Here, the DivX Fusion codec works great under QuickTime 7.0.3 despite the codec's beta status. Even the DivX 5.2.1 codec's only problem is the well-known double-Help menu bug. Which additional "fix" do you want?

The problem I had with 7.0.2 was that Divx 5 simply didn't work. At all. It was as though it wasn't even installed. I tried reinstalling, but to no avail. As for Divx Fusion, it's pretty good for a beta, but its performance is notably worse and it has some compatibility issues with certain movies. For example, the screen will just turn white for a frame or two at seemingly random times (in some movies). It also doesn't seem to play nice with other codecs as well as Divx 5.

VLC and MPlayer are great to have, don't get me wrong, but they're only players. QuickTime is much more than just a player. And even as players, VLC and MPlayer just aren't as good as QuickTime. I want decent scrubbing, rewind/fast-forward, multiple speed settings, bass control, and an interface that doesn't reek of Linux.

I'm gonna give 7.0.3 a shot. I'll report my results later today.

Back