Quicktime AVI video...how to view?

wings210

Registered
I download these things (for instance, "SanMarcosCrash.avi") and Quicktime will open a dialog that says I might need a plug-in. I can never figure out which one. They won't play in WMediaPlayer. Is there a way to get that added capability out of Quicktime? OS 10.3.9, Quicktime 7.0.3

Thanks,
Allan

There are quite a lot of Video's Quicktime won't play without mpeg2 codec which cost extra on top of QuicktimePro

There are free players that can play these unknown files, the one I like best is Mplayer or there is VLC

Or other times you may need Divx that could help play those files in quicktime

If it's an AVI, chances are you need Divx. There are currently two versions available. 5.2.2 is, in my opinion, the better version, but some people experience problems using it with QuickTime 7 (it works fine for me). There's also the Divx 6 beta. I don't recommend using it unless Divx 5 doesn't work for you.

Generally when VLC, MPlayer and QuickTime won't plan an AVI then the AVI is encoded with the ID50 codec. If that's the case and you try running it in VLC, it should pop up an error that tells you it's an ID50 encoded file. Your only option on the Mac right now for that one is to run QT under classic mode (with the ID50 codec installed).

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60366

personaly i like using vlc cause then you do not need to collect codex and also it plays mkv and ogm files no worrie and its better than quicktime :p vlc rules

clubheadz said:
This website is a great resource for identifying which codec was used to create the AVI. I've found that I didn't need DivX, but instead a different codec from 3ivx. That was good news since DivX is currently incompatible with Quicktime 7 / Mac OS 10.4.x while 3ivx (Thry-vex) is just fine.

http://www.macos.utah.edu/Documentation/OSX_AVI_Solutions1/OSX_AVISolutionsCODECs.html
:rolleyes: You come to this forum and spew stuff like that? This issue has been discussed too many times in the recent past to count. Rather than waiting for you to do a search, I will recount the relevant information about DivX codecs and .avi files: The 3ivx codec is an alternative codec to DivX, Apple's own MPEG-4, and a few others. It is not a whole other animal. The 3ivx codec will not play the audio tracks of many DivX-encoded .avi files unless those files are first "flattened" and converted to .mov files with DivX Doctor II. However, .avi files play under the DivX 5.2.1 codec without conversion. Under QuickTime 7, the DivX 5.2.1 codec has a glitch that displays two Help menus in the menu bar. This bug has no other affect on your system. Content plays fine. The DivX Fusion (DivX 6 beta) codec does not have this bug. It is not a matter of choosing between 3ivx and DivX. You can install both and they will work fine together. The DivX codec will handle the audio and the 3ivx codec will handle the video tracks of .avi files.

Back