"QuickTime is missing software ... not available on the QuickTime server."

jrbt

Registered
What do I do when encountering this error message:

"QuickTime is missing software required to perform this operation. Unfortunately, it is not available on the QuickTime server."

On my 1.25GHz G4 Mac I've been booting from my purchased OS X 10.2.8 located on my internal hard drive for a couple of years. For internet I've been using Netscape 7.2 or Safari along with QuickTime 6.5.3 which has always worked fine. Recently I bought OS X 10.4.6 and loaded it onto my external hard drive along with QuickTime 7.1.1 so I can have the option of booting either from that or from 10.2.8 by holding option upon startup. But now when I go online in 10.2.8 using either Netscape or Safari to any graphics website such as http://espn.go.com , the QuickTime doesn't work and instead I get a bunch of fractured QuickTime icons along with the error message shown above. This still happens if I disconnect the external hard drive so that the 10.4.6 can't be a factor, and even if, with it disconnected, I re-download and re-install QuickTime 6.5.3 onto the internal hard drive. If I reconnect the external hard drive and booth from 10.4.6 then the QuickTime 7.1.1, works okay, but sometimes I still need to go online in 10.2.8. Can someone advise how to fix this QuickTime problem.

(By the way, is that error message idiotic or what. Apple, you need to do better. Thanks for saying where the software isn't available - wow, is that ever useful to know! - um, how about also disclosing where it *is* available?)

Back