Quicktime: no sound

wataru

Registered
Hi!

Sorry to bother you all but im having a bit of a problem with quicktime.

When I play a mpg file I have no sound, I have sound with mov files though. im not sure when this happened but I think it was about 4/5 days ago - it may have been when I downloaded a Quicktime update through Software update. I also have no sound on the videos on Youtube.com either.

has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks
Wataru

I know this might sound silly, but if you have GarageBand installed launch it and then quit after it's finished launching. Then test your sound again on those videos. This has worked for others in the past when it comes to "resetting" the sound on the Mac in OS X.

i had the same problem and couldn't fix it. i just downloaded VLC. it's a great program, and you can watch pretty much all videos with it.

Another thing that I just thought about (and something both of you might want to try) is to repair permissions on your hard drive. Just head over to Disk Utility (Applications-->Utilities) and select your hard drive. The click on Repair Permissions.

i repair permissions all the time. it doesn't do anything for quicktime. i just use VLC, and i'm very happy with it.

Try this, go to Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilites,

Open Audio MIDI Setup and set Output to 44100Khz.

Then Quit Audio MIDI Setup and see if it's working.

(That may not be the exact #, I dont have a working machine at the moment.)

Thank you very much everybody!

I decided to try nixgeek's method of opening garageband and it worked for some reason.

Thanks alot!

Back