Quicktime problems

Paragon

Interstellar traveler
Whenever I try and watch the QT streams from apple's site it's choppy and full of holes. Normally I get a good QT window say for example when I watch the trailer's from their website. But when it comes to streaming I can't get a descent picture, and it's not because I have a slow connection, I have a T1, but that doesn't seem to help. Is it because I'm on an iBook? How can I solve this problem so that I can watch the MWNY stream from their site?

Try this:

1) Open up the QuickTime Settings preference pane or control panel.

2) Click on the Connection tab.

3) Click on the "Transport Setup..." button.

4) In the "Transport Protocol:" submenu, you probably have "UDP" selected. Change it to "HTTP".

5) Select the Port ID: "80" radio button.

6) Click OK.

7) Close System Preferences/the QuickTime Settings control panel.

Now see if your streams are better.

Thanks...it works like a charm now. Just out of curiousity what is the difference between UDP and HTTP?

I don't really have a clue with regards to streaming video. I just got this tip from Sly from Your Mac Life. I was having probs with the stream, and they suggested this fix to rectify the problem. Since it worked there and other places, I figured you were probably having the same problem.

yea...really weird. I just finished watching the MWNY...GREAT stufff. I can't wait till 10.2 comes out, and on top of that I'm buying a new powermac also.

YIIPPEEE!!!!

:D

what is the difference between UDP and HTTP?

AFAIK the main difference is that UDP is lossy, sorta. What I mean is, under HTTP if a packet gets sent, but doens't arrive, then it's re-sent until it does actually arrive. UDP doesn't do this, so if a packet is dropped somewhere, it's gone for good.

Usually this isn't a problem for streaming - by the time the packet that got dropped has been re-sent, it's usually past the point where it was needed anyway.

Back