Quicktime under Classic Accelerated?!?

james23

Registered
Well this is odd, I play divX movies (anime) a lot and have reverted to playing divX on a windows 98 laptop (simply because it runs without any lag what so ever, 550MHz Celeron, 64MB RAM). I btw have a PowerBook G3 Lombard 333MHz (Yes, no Graphics acceleration), 256MB RAM faster 20GB IBM travelstar HDD compared to the wintel's Toshiba 5GB standard.

I've played divX movies under OSX "native" and performance is unbearable frame rate was way low - I'd say about 5fps, however I decided to try it under classic, and to my surprise not only does classic plays the unplayable movies under native OS X, it plays divX files without any noticeable frame drops!!

I'm currently using DivX Doctor 2.1, prior to that AVI2MOV tool by jamby, both on OS X native was really terrible - but under the classic enviroment it absolutely flies (relative to running on native). So I'm asking, is Quicktime really accelerated by my Ati Rage Pro LT graphics processor?

I'm using the same extension set as I usually have when run booted in Mac OS 9, I also turn off all applications I'm currently running and renice'd QuicktimePlayer under OS X to -20. I'm still dumbfounded at this how can Classic play my divX movies so nicely yet native OS X Quicktime Player drags its ass - I mean if classic can play it that nicely then there's gotta be hope for me native-wise right?

I'd like to know if this happens on your machine as well.. especially to those who are running the unsupported graphics chipset.

james.

Back