Quieter fans for Dual 1ghz Quicksilver?

I remember reading a thread where someone changed out the fan using another fan that was found in PCs (I have no idea where it would be now...memory fails me). I think it should work with a PC fan so long as the dimensions and speed are about the same.

there are so many available pc fans and they will work in your mac also
just make sure that the specs are not lower that the original fans in the way of CFM

here are the stock fans specs

CPU fan on a G4 933:

Sunon 60x60x25mm
12 Volt, 2.2 Watt
23.5 CFM, 4500 RPM (max), 33.5 dBA
Heat regulated
P/N:KDE120PTV1

Notes:
2 wires connected to Motherboard
Blows INTO the case

Big case fan on a G4 933 and 450 Sawtooth

Sensflow 120x120x25mm (made by Deta Electronics)
12 Volt, 4.32 Watt, 0.44 Amp
86.52 CFM, 2470 RPM (max), 37.6 dBA
Heat regulated
P/N:WFC1212B

Notes: This fan is connected to the Power Supply, blows out of the back and through a duct to the bottom of the case. You could probably fit a fan with a thickness of 40mm or so in the shroud, if you modified one side to allow it to continue to blow out the back of the case.

Fan in G4 Quicksilver PSU

Protechnic 80x80x25mm MAGIC (made by Sechang Micro)
12 Volt, 0.24 Amp
38.27 CFM, 3000 RPM (max), 29 dBA
Heat regulated (probably)
P/N:MGA8012HS

notes: the 29 dBA on the manufacture's website is woefully different the roar that most Quicksilvers emit from their PSUs. This is a sleeve bearing fan, and should have 2 wires.

the fans I used in my setup were as follows

for the PSU I used the thermaltake 80x80x25 smart case fan A2016 and I mounted the heat sensor in line with the air out flow to make it regulate to the temporature

for the case fan i used an
antec smartcool variable speed fan

I also modified the case and installed two coolmaster 12cm UV fans
in a blow hole arraingment one on the top of the case and one on the bottom of the case and remounted the Harddrives so they were positioned above the bottom fan directly in the air stream

Back