Quite A Scare!

Joana

Registered
Hi everybody

Today, when I turned my computer on, the little question mark appeared and I heard some noises coming from the computer, like it was looking for something and not finding it. So I had restart the computer from the Mac OS 9 Install CD, change the Startup Disk from OS X to OS 9.2 and try again. It "kind of" worked, cause it freezed again and I had to start with the extensions off. Then, I don't know what I did, I think I just disabled a couple of extensions and deleted some files (from softwares that I no longer have on my computer), and restarted. This time it started ok, so I changed back the Startup Disk and mac OS X finally worked.

Does anybody have ANY idea what could possibly have happened? And while I'm on the subject, I have another question: if I had to reinstall the system (only Mac OS X), would that affect the whole computer? I mean, would I have to reinstall OS 9 too? What about all the applications? I'm sorry if that questions sound stupid, but I've only been dealing with the two operational systems for two weeks, since I got my new G4 Dual 800. Before that, I had a Power mac 8600, so please bear with me.

Thanks!
Joana

Back