Quite Unlucky if I do say so myself...

Vyper

Awaiting Panther
Well, I'm quite pissed right now... I guess this is Murphy's Law (or whoever it is) that says that if anything can go wrong will... you see, here's how it goes..

8:00 Am - I find out my Slot CD Drive doesn't want to take CD's anymore.
2:45 Pm - Jaguar arrives.

Does anyone know if theres something I can do? The CD absolutely does not want to go in, and Im pretty sure theres not a cd in there, because when its loaded, it goes right until that soft stuff that keeps dust from getting in your computer. Is there like an emergency eject or some sort of way to get into my cd drive? If I drove two hours to the Apple store, would they be able to fix it? My warantee hasn't expired..

what kind of computer do you have? a Cube? a PowerBook?

if you have a powerbook, then there's a small hole at the right end of the slot. put a piece of wire in there and push it hard. that's the hardware eject button which is directly on the drive. my guess is that there IS a cd inside the drive.

the eject button should be F12. if that produces no results, try like fryke said using a paper clip inserted into the hole. even the slot loading cd readers have this although it is tricky to find. feeel around till the clip finds the indentation.

you might also try rebooting. you might try inserting the cd during the dark screen of the reboot process.

this happens to my 350 iMac every once in a while, and I just have to wait it out...
it eventually fixes itself.

And let's not forget another way to eject stubborn discs.... reboot, and hold down the mouse button during the first few seconds of startup.

If it's a slot-loading iMac then if you open up the bottom where the memory goes you will see a little reset button. If the computer is on it's screen then when you look inside it will be to the left and down a little. If you hold this button in for about 5 seconds it will reset the motherboard. I find that this works quite often and I support over 3,000 slot-loading iMacs.

Back