R.I.P. iPod. never again.

"Digitical camera"... lol

You may want to be careful what you actually do to your iPod so you don't custom melt it or damage any of the components.

Now that it's working, though, have you thought about writing a "How-to" of how to fix it?

the fix was a pretty obvious one, so i don't think i'm in any danger of destroying anything. but yeah, i'll write a how-to once my 'digitical camera' is working ^_^

Originally posted by boi
i also sanded the back of it to give it a brushed metal look. it looks fantastic. now all i have to do is get rid of the scratches on the plastic, somehow fix the discoloring of the wheel (spraypaint maybe? i wonder how silver would look...) and fix my little remote port on the top. now that apple has denied me warranty, i'm no longer afraid to customize my baby.
Like I said, be careful what you do... You may want a custom job, but you shouldn't use any strong materials that could melt/warp your case, get inside & ruin the functionals, etc. I'm also not sure how you're going to fix plastic scratches (if you figure out a "foolproof" way, tell me so I can unscratch my glasses! :)).

hey, http://deep.urbanturban.no/ipod/ ;)

Heh, a month after I did this it stopped booting... Sent it in to Apple for repair - and 6 days later I had a brand new one delivered on my door - the day before christmas eve :)
Just me, or is AppleCare actually better in Europe than in the US? That is unusual...

Originally posted by arden
Like I said, be careful what you do... You may want a custom job, but you shouldn't use any strong materials that could melt/warp your case, get inside & ruin the functionals, etc. I'm also not sure how you're going to fix plastic scratches (if you figure out a "foolproof" way, tell me so I can unscratch my glasses! :)).

i'm not sure what you're talking about :confused: . i wasn't going to throw it in the fire. i'll probably spraypaint my scroll wheel (it comes off) and that's it. i don't know of any way to fill in plastic scratches other than fine wet sanding it.

Its a shame about the problems you guys have had with your iPods, Apple UK were fine with me.

The headphone connection on mine was a bit dodgy so I sent it back to apple (they paid for the courier both ways) although they said they couldn't find a fault with it. I thought that it must be the headphones that were the problem so I asked for another pair and they sent them out free of charge.

Initially my iPod showed up as being out of warranty but I spoke to someone about it and they thought that Scotsys must have just had it lying around for a while in the shop (its a 5gb). I explained that I had just bought it and they were fine about the whole thing.

I haven't had to get much repair stuff done on my Macs but I've never had any experiences like you guys have had (I spilt orange juice on my G4 keyboard about a week after I got it and they gave me a new one free!). There shouldn't be but perhaps there's a difference in service between regions?

The 'abuse' thing is especially annoying, iPods do get scratched very easily. What are they playing at! I'd hassle Apple a lot about it all.

I've had a similar problem. I picked up my iPod and half of the little ring in the head phone jack just fell out. I sent it to APple through the AppleCentre I did work experience at. 3 months later, the AppleCentre called me to say that Apple had sent it back, but they didn' tknow why. A week later, I was told it was because the warranty was declined. Another week passed and I was able to pick it up and I was tol dit was goin gto cos tme AU$400 to repair. THAT'S ONLY HALF THE PRICE OF MY IPOD! They will have declined it because the screen is a little scratched because I had a couple of coins in my pocket with the Ipod without thinking. I'm seriously hoping now though that the rest of the ring doesn' t break or the headphones won't fit at all.

Is it as obvious to you that Apple is aware that this problem is THEIR fault in the way that they have re-designed the headphone jack on the new iPods?!

Wow, that's some bad mojo. Hope you can find someone to fix your 'Pod.

A little frenetic witht hes paceb ar, are we? :)

Its unfortunate but I think they're in the minority. If everyone was having all those problems then Apple wouldn't sell any!

So you wouldn't buy a new car if a few people had a problem with it? You wouldn't buy a new computer if a few people had a problem with it? Even if the vast majority had no problems at all?

Just because some people have a bad experience with faulty hardware does not mean you should not buy an iPod for yourself. A) you don't know if you will repeat the same problem, and B) Apple just redesigned the iPod, so hopefully they fixed this problem anyway.

I agreee if just a few people have problem that is not a reason not to buy something. But it does say something about the company when it does not stand by its products. $400 is lot to pay for something that doesn't work. In my case by the time my iPod began to fail it was almost a year. It was still on warranty and by that time the price had dropped. In my case they wanted $46 dollars in shipping with no explanation why. It wasn't my fault there was a problem with the battery. After all I was one the early adopters which helped make the darn thing a success, it was still under warranty, they should have fixed for free plain and simple.

Calliex

Hassle them about it - I got my ipod shipped to Amsterdam and back for free, if you're under warranty its not fair that you should have to pay when Apple Europe don't make you.

Of course, you probably paid a lot more for your iPod in Scotland than we do in the States... is that fair?

In the end, it all seems to even out. (If only!)

Well I am getting nervous about all of these iPods breaking, I am planning on getting the 15 gig...I mean my friend dropped his (landed really hard) and the screen got all messed up, the screen looked like it was a blotch of ink. Apple said they couldn't repair it. Plus, my friend said hers crashes all the time. I still think however after hearing all of this I am still going to get a 15 gig one, I mean, I'd much rather have the iPod on me than the huge case logic where I have to change all of my cds and all of that stuff especialy when I am on bus rides.

-Perseus

I wouldn't get nervous about them, they're quite sturdy. Don't get discouraged by a couple of bad experiences - they happen with every product, even if its a good one.

Case in point: We are a Toyota family. We own 3 excellent Toyotas: an '86 Camry (mine, whee!), an '01 Sienna and an '03 Corolla. None of them has ever had anything major go wrong, and the Camry even has almost 400,000 miles and is going strong.

Now, a guy in one of my classes has had a different experience with Toyota. These normally excellent vehicles failed for him and his family. They had I think a car and a truck, and neither worked properly (I don't remember any details, but I'll ask him). Just goes to show that even the highest quality, most reliable vehicles sometimes encounter problems.

Is it still in warranty? Because I'll send you the $30 via paypal and you can ship back in.

Seriously, how much did you pay for the thing. $200? $300? I think that $30 shipping would be worth the trouble.

Back