Racer - anyone seen this?

goynang

Some guy
I just discovered Racer and can't believe I'd never heard of it before. It's a driving simulation for Mac, PC, and Linux using OpenGL and it's really good. It's rather rough around the edges (only version 0.5) but still a lot of fun.

You can download extra cars and tracks from Racer Xtreme. There are modern cars and even really old ones which can be a laugh too.

It also looks like at some point it will allow multi-player online racing too - or maybe it does already and I can't figure out how to enable it.

Anyone else played this game - got any lap times to share?

Yeah, I looked at this about 12 months ago, and was very impressed with what I saw. At that time, though, it was still in its infancy and was nowhere near ready to be run by anything other than enthusiasts on Linux development boxes. Even so, the potential for the game really excited me. It does not surprise me at all that the game has advanced to a useable level.

There's a few things in there that really interest me, on a personal level ... the fact that it has my current car (Alfa-Romeo Boxer 33), my restoration project car (a Jaguar Mk 2) and even my girlfriend's current and previous car. Gran Turismo will most likely never pick up any of these obscure models. That will ultimately be the appeal of Racer: It gives people the chance to try out a Gran-Turismo style game that has the obscure and wonderful cars they really want to drive.

Thanks for the reminder Goynang. I will have to load this up tonight and give it a go!

Looks good - I'll have a bash (or crash) when I've got some free time.

Cheers for the pointer.

Back