Radeon 7000 Rules

thedbp

Frantic Messenger of Hope
So I just got my Radeon 7000 from Page Computers ... it only took 2 days to get to me!

This is one smoking card. AdmiralAK, I know you have a B&W G3 as well, and if you haven't upgraded the video card, DO IT NOW!!! The Radeon7000 is going for around $100-$110 a lot of places and it is worth EVERY PENNY. The TV-out is great, now I can watch DVD's on my TV (and make VHS copies for friends, nootch!), play back Quicktime trailers on the TV, use a 2nd monitor for palettes... it's brought my G3 back to life as far as graphics are concerned. Alice used to chew through my Rage card and spit it out on low-textures and low-rez ... now I can crank all the textures up and get good performance at 1024x768! And I don't even want to tell you how fast Unreal flies. its just sick, and more than likely should be banned ;)

Seriously, I didn't think I'd see this type of performance with a non-AGP Mac! And if ANY of you have a PCI Mac that is in need of a graphics card, the Radeon 7000 is IT IT IT!!!! It comes with (get this) dual-display support, the S-video out, DVI out, VGA out, an S-Video cable, a composite video cable, an S-video to composite adapter, a DVI to VGA adapter, and an Apple-to-VGA adapter. All for $100!!!!

I'm going to buy another for my 8600. Wow.

B/W owner here!
Sounds good to me...
Is it the top of the range PCI card from ATi?

Macrovision is rendered useless ;)

Copy protection is futile. All your movies are belong to us.

Rent a DVD, copy it to VHS, and wind up with a better copy than if you had bought a factory pressed VHS tape (assuming you have at least a mid-grade HiFi VHS deck).

hehehehhehehehe

i'm sure that you could get the card to work without installing any drivers, but it comes with a handy dandy control panel type app that allows you to change settings and view stats on your monitors.

in 9 it has a neat util for viewing how much VRAM is being used for 3D and 2D, but I'm never in 9 anymore ;) hope they code that for X, its a neat little feature.

fear not! the software installs in about 5 seconds. i had the card in, up, and running in about 10 minutes.

Ok heres the deal...

I have a G3 400mhz B/W stock, now I read the Radeon PCI card that was released last year is still faster than the 7000, is this true?

Also can someone tell me if this new card will make my osx Lightwave 7 any faster?

I have seen no benchmarks online anywahere and will not buy the card if professionally it doesn't speed anything up drastically.

*Does osx feel more responsive with the 7000?
*Do quake 3 engine games get higher fps?
*Whats the video quality like? Any higher refresh rates?

Originally posted by ThE OutsiDer

I have a G3 400mhz B/W stock, now I read the Radeon PCI card that was released last year is still faster than the 7000, is this true?

I have heard this as well, but the 7000 goes for about 60 to 70 bucks cheaper, which, to me, makes it a better value for the money, especially since I don't have much money.

Also can someone tell me if this new card will make my osx Lightwave 7 any faster?

If it renders 3D using OpenGL, I'd imagine it would. It definitely helps lots of 2D interface stuff like scrolling, redraws, etc.

I have seen no benchmarks online anywahere and will not buy the card if professionally it doesn't speed anything up drastically.

I'm going to be posting some benchmarks to xlr8yourmac soon as I can get the time to run them.

*Does osx feel more responsive with the 7000?

Yep :) A lil' anyway. I think it greatly depends on what part of the UI you are looking to speed up ...

*Do quake 3 engine games get higher fps?

Oh hell yeah. Alice would run so-so with all the textures turned DOWN before i got the card, now I can crank up the textures and get good FPS. And this is on a 350 G3, technically 50MHz slower than the "requirements" state.

*Whats the video quality like? Any higher refresh rates?

Oh yeah. Much nicer, much less flicker.

Plus, if you have DVD in your Mac, its worth it for the TV output. Plus it has dual-monitor support built in. And when two monitors are hooked up, each monitor gets 16MB of VRAM dedicated to it, but because of the improved technology on the card, it STILL smokes the stock Rage128.

I would reccomend this card without hesitation to ANY pre-AGP Mac owner looking to inexpensively upgrade their video performance. You just can't beat the price-performance ratio of this card.

Sounds cool, I will think serious about one when they come to australia..

more questions-

*Did u try it in the 66mhz pci slot?

*Remember to do a wolfenstein 3D demo test because then us older mac users can see if we can play the newer generation q3 engined titles!!!

*Besides getting a few extradetailed levels up in games did the actual fps count increase too or is that a cpu thing?

*Will the RAdeon 7000 with its DDR help get me a nice Italian girl?

Back