Radeon 9650 in G4

loom001

Registered
My friend is looking to get rid of a Radeon 9650 that he had in his G5 (the one that came with it) and I was wondering are there any issues using this in a G4 1gig? It is the card that came with his system. I just want to make sure that if he takes the time to ship it to me it will work.

i do not believe that any of the g5 video cards will work in a g4. not all g5's had agp vid cards, and the ones that did were 8x. the g4's had 4x agp. some of the cards can be modded to work in a g4, but it does not always work, sometimes it just kills the vid card. the best thing to do is get a new card from owc that will work in your mac.

ACtually, most 8x AGP cards are backwards compatible to 4x, but you have to make sure that your G4 will support the 1.5v AGP and not the 3.0v AGP otherwise you'll cause damage to the logic board or the video card.

that works in the pc world. the macs are not out of the box compatible with 8x cards in the 4x slots just for that reason, which is why the cards require modding. xlr8yourmac is the best place for you to goto to find out if the card will work, and how to mod it.

Back