RAID data recovery help?

drhiii

Registered
Ok, got into a larger problem. Lost networking and cannot boot all the way into the Admin screen on the console, tho I know the system boots as when the first drive comes to rest after booting, about 60 seconds, I am able to ping the box. Also, Disk Utils let me get to the data on both drives (2 120s RAIDed) and I can see all the data.

I was advised to do an Archival install to get a system back. I am concerned about having both drives in when doing this in case I end up flattening both drives and losing all data.

Question is... is it possible to flatten and reinstall first drive, and then try and mount the second drive and rebuild the system, that way? I know this is dicey since I will be relying on a single drive, but I can't think of how to access the data otherwise. This whole thing started when I tried to upgrade openssl and then I lost networking, and the console too. No way to get into the box. But all the data is there when I use disk utils.

OS X 10.2

Ideas? Help?

Another way of asking is... can I reinstall one disk, leaving the second RAIDed disk out, and when I have access to the system, go back and mount the RAIDed disk and recoer data?

Nevermind. I came up with a solution. No one answered anyway, which is why I do not use Macs by choice. Community is too thin and problems can be expensive to solve.

drhiii said:
Nevermind. I came up with a solution. No one answered anyway, which is why I do not use Macs by choice. Community is too thin and problems can be expensive to solve.

There is a simple solution. Install a third harddrive in the computer, install the SERVER and make a descent backup.

Also if you expect a solution in 5 minutes after posting, your standards are too high (although you do not want to pay the price for having high standards).

Also your last remarks will not make others on this site eager to help you with any future support calls.

Good luck, Kees

drhiii said:

I would have responded, but I travel all week, every week, working with our 'thin' community... :rolleyes:

I would have upgraded past Jaguar a while ago, but what is your backup solution/disaster recovery plan? That's key no matter what OS or community, no matter how fat, thin, expensive, or cheap.

Also, if this is a live, enterprise system, you should treat it as such, with proper support.

What I would have done?

A. Called into AppleCare Server Support, as I'm sure you have the support contract on your server.

B. Checked the filesystem consistency for errors

C. Repaired system permissions

If none of that resolved it:

D. Use my spare parts kit to install the a third drive, install the OS and use my last known good backup to restore the vital areas of the system, like /etc, and such.

I'm going to assume you don't have user data on your filesystem partition as well, since that'll slow down any sort of restoration and reduce the protection of your data. Ideally, you want your live data on a separate drive, incase something like this happens.

Breaking a mirror boot raid wasn't supported until 10.4. Breaking it manually before then can result in data corruption. So the answer to your question is pretty much no, especially under Jaguar.

Now, you posted the question yesterday and, for free, you received an answer in 24 hours. If you need better than 'whenever' response time, I'd recommend either getting the support contract with Apple or learning about the OS and being your own support channel.

(posted inaccurate info - never mind. Can't seem to delete the post altogether though)

Amazing how some people expect the answer for free but don't go about RESEARCHING on how to fix the problem themselves. And if this person is actually in charge of an enterprise system like this, why does he NOT know how to fix the problem or perform the research?? I think it's time for that company to hire someone who knows how to do his job if you ask me.

For all we know HE was the cause of the disaster....he should be wary of criticizing in the manner he did. Sounds like a typical Windows admin if you ask me. Dude..think outside of the box sometime, eh? :rolleyes:

Back