RAID for video - semi newby questions

karavite

Registered
Hello. First I was tormented on which forum to post this in, hardware or DTP. I opted for the latter. I need a card that will let me configure two internal drives as a RAID 2. I have a G4 1 GHz DP and cannot use the OS X software to run this RAID. If you are interested in why, read the lengthy background on all this below.

I am about to embark on a fun experience of transferring all my families old super 8 movies to digital, then edit them on my G4 1 GHz DP with FCP. People/companies that provide this service limit you to receiving a DVD with MPEG2 files, but I want better for editing. For the same money I would be charged for having the films transferred, I can get this set up and do it myself: http://www.moviestuff.tv/wp_s8.html

This set up has the advantage of allowing me to capture each frame of film directly to my computer and then adjust the playback rate (there is long and involved issue with the different frame rates of 8mm and super 8 - see this site for some more information: http://www.moviestuff.tv/faq.html)

Okay, getting to my question. In order to capture the single frames effectively, I need a RAID 2 setup in my Mac. I have read a few threads on this subject but am looking for the most up to date information (http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20936 and others). I have determined that I cannot use the OS X raid software and need to do it with hardware. Can anyone recommend a RAID card and/or discuss issues on which of the 4 drive bays I should use in my G4 I GHz DP. Probably 2 200 GB drives will do it for me. Would it matter which bays I use? Probably, but just checking!

Thanks in advanced!

P.S. If you have any old movies around and maybe had them transferred to VHS at some time, think seriously about getting them to digital. Film lasts a long time, but not forever, and certainly longer than a VHS tape!!! I'd do it for you, but I have yet to really prove I know how! :)

How will you be capturing all this video onto your computer? Are you using a Analog to Firewire converter? If so, you don't need to have RAID setup at all. the datarate for DV is low enough that you can get away with buying some external Lacie Firewire drives. I just use those on my laptop normally, no RAID. I just plugin and capture. If you are using a video capture card that runs at a higher quality than DV (i.e. SD or HD), then you might want to look into much faster drives....that's why I went ahead and ordered a XRaid....

Trust me, I need the RAID. The set up uses a special projector that advances each frame of the film and each frame is captures as a frame of video at about 8 fps. The person who makes this device tells me standard drives cannot keep up and often capture a frame while it is being advanced resulting in a blurred frame. However, now I am really confused because on the phone he told me I need RAID 2, but on his site says RAID 0. I have discovered that RAID 2 is about as rare as anything in the universe, so I must have misunderstood. I'll check again.

So, any recommendations on controller cards for RAID 0 and 1?

Back