RAM compatibility, iMac 333

erikv11

Registered
My brother picked up an old iMac ("5 flavors" 1999, 333 MHz, 32 MB RAM still running 8.5) and wants to add some RAM and run it as a websurf-email machine.

I'm wondering if the two, factory 256 MB chips that I removed from my TiBook (DVI) will work in the iMac? If so, then I'll mail them to him.

Here's what Mactracker says:

iMac (5 Flavors)
Maximum RAM: 512 MB (Actual) 128 MB (Apple)
Number of Sockets: 2 - PC66 144 pin SO-DIMM
Minimum RAM Speed: 10 ns

PowerBook G4 (DVI)
Number of Sockets: 2 - PC133 3.3V 144-pin SO-DIMM
Minimum RAM Speed: 10 ns

He is a Windows guy so OS doesn't matter too much, I'll start him on 9.2.2 but how much RAM does Panther need, and would it run Ok on this machine with its 333 MHz G3 processor?

Thanks for any advice/help.

Low End Mac seems to agree on the specs for the iMac's RAM:

"RAM: 32 MB, expandable to 384 MB using SO-DIMM SDRAM (3.3V, unbuffered, 64-bit, 144-pin, 100 MHz or faster, 10ns) in two DIMM sockets (256 MB on top, 128 MB on bottom), top DIMM socket accepts 2" DIMM, bottom socket takes 1.5" DIMM
* The exact amount a Rev. A-D iMac can be upgraded varies from unit to unit. We have field reports of some models accepting 256 MB modules in both memory socket and reaching 512 MB -- and other reports of early iMacs that won't work at all with 256 MB modules. There appears to be no way to know in advance whether a particular iMac will work with a certain sized memory module."

I have 512 MB RAM working fine in my iMac in two 256 MB PC100 sticks of which the lower is the mandatory low profile.

So it sounds like your brother really could use at least one of those modules, though I have never seen any RAM actually offered for sale for both the iMac 333 and PB G4s.

Of course the more RAM you can cram into a Mac the better Panther will run, but even with just one of your extra sticks that iMac should be usable.

Perhaps somebody else here can give you a more definitive answer in regards to RAM compatibility.

They will work, but depending on the chip architecture, it's possible they'll be recognized as 128 MB chips. Should be possible to tell if you know the exact specifications for the chips.

ksv said:
They will work, but depending on the chip architecture, it's possible they'll be recognized as 128 MB chips. Should be possible to tell if you know the exact specifications for the chips.

Great, thanks!

So it is worth sending them tom hi. But about whether or not they will be seen as 256, where might I get "the exact specifications" from? There are little labels on the chips (I'm looking at 'em right now ...), would you or someone know from that, or can I look it up somewhere?

erikv11 said:
Great, thanks!

So it is worth sending them tom hi. But about whether or not they will be seen as 256, where might I get "the exact specifications" from? There are little labels on the chips (I'm looking at 'em right now ...), would you or someone know from that, or can I look it up somewhere?

You could see if there's a set of numbers like '8M x 8 x 4' on the chips. There probably isn't, so you'd have to check up the model number with the manufacturer. It's probably easier to just try the chips in the iMac, though.

putting the chips in is a little difficult, i have to send them to him and he doesn't necessarily know how to do it, seems worth trying to sort out if they will work but I see your point.

I attached an image of the RAM, hope it is here?

Attachments

• g4_RAM.jpg
    g4_RAM.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 4
erikv11 said:
putting the chips in is a little difficult, i have to send them to him and he doesn't necessarily know how to do it, seems worth trying to sort out if they will work but I see your point.

I attached an image of the RAM, hope it is here?

Ah, that's the same kind of chips as I have. They'll work :)

I think your brother may only be able to fit one of those babies into the iMac, the lower level only allows a low profile, 1.5" chip.

Back